Unable to create a linked issue within issue details view

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2017

We are regression testing to upgrade to Jira Server 7.4.5 and we have lost the ability to add an issue link on an issue via the issue details view. We have it configured to allow Linked issues in our Issue Details configuration. We can link by using the "...", but we used to have the ability to click "Add Link" which was under the "Issue Links" section within the issue details view (v7.1.6 Server) and now it's not there. What happend to it?  

Confused because of the new feature that you should be able to edit everything that is on your edit screen should be editable within the Issue Details View now.

Snag_11401cec.pngSnag_11402880.png

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2017

Hi Jana,

It appears that this Add Link button was removed in the 7.2.0 release of Jira Software.   I don't have any clear indication as to why exactly this was done.  The release notes don't clearly mention this specific detail.  I suspect it might have been done to try to reduce clutter on the page.   Being this is the issue details pane on a board, space is certainly at a premium in this view, so I could see why this might have been removed. 

The release notes for 7.2.0 do indicate that there was a revision made to the issue detail view in order to make all view editable.  However since the Issue linking is not precisely a field, perhaps this was removed intentionally, I can't say for sure just yet.

In my search of our public bug tracker, I was not able to find any other reports of this specific change.  As you noted the ... menu still does contain the ability for users to create links to other issue.  So the same functionality still exists, but I understand that it might not be exactly the same layout you recall from this previous version.

If you like we can create a new bug for this on our tracker.

Regards,
Andy

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2017

That would be GREAT Andy. We use that functionality. Can you then add the issue here so that I can document it in my testing story?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2017

Hi Jana,

I created this bug ticket in regards to this difference, https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-16247

I have the feeling this might have been an intentional design change to remove this, however I would recommend watching the bug ticket for updates on this.

Thanks,
Andy

Suggest an answer