• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Unable to apply licence to Jira 8 Edited

Upgraded to Jira 8 from v7. Purchased Jira Software starter licence. Core is already on v8 and licensed OK. I'm not able to apply the software licence; it fails with error saying 'check the logs'. Helpful, doesn't say which logs - and no output seems to be written to /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out (or any other file in that directory).

I'm notified in the UI that I need to upgrade the Atlassian Universal Plugin manager - but that fails too, with similar check logs error.

Attempts to upgrade other plugins that are out of support also fail in a similar way.

Assuming the upgrade process has somehow applied incorrect perms, I checked that out - interestingly upgrade was done as root, whilst process runs as another user, but /var/atlassian/jira was majority owned by root and the same true for /opt/atlassian/jira. Reverted ownership to my jira user, restarted. No change. Perhaps I've missed another directory the upgrade touches?

All jira integrity checks pass.

I'm running behind an nginx proxy, and had no problems with licences or application install/upgrade on v7.

Rant: It had passed me by that Atlassian no longer offer direct support for startup licences, or I would have never done this. Not once have I managed a successful, pain free upgrade.

1 answer

0 votes
Taranjeet Singh Community Leader May 08, 2019

@Patrick Lidstone It is possible that JIRA plugins cache might have been corrupted during the upgrade. Try clearing the plugins cache in your new upgraded JIRA 8 installation and restart JIRA. Then try to install JIRA Software and apply license, as well as upgrade other add-ons.

https://tempo-io.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/pages/228982790/How+to+reset+plugins+cache+in+JIRA

Hopefully, it should work !

Thanks for the help. In fact, this wasn't the problem - the problem was the upgrade process failed to carry across my proxy config in server.xml, so it was 'mostly' working. Atlassian, you could (a) clean the plugin cache by default when upgrading and (b) do a much better job of preserving existing config changes -- and save your end users several hours of wasted effort in the process. It's not rocket science, is it?

Taranjeet Singh Community Leader May 09, 2019

@Patrick Lidstone So the problem is resolved now? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

827 views 2 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you