Unable to access uer profile in JIRA Software

Emma_Kay July 19, 2017

Top RH side of screen, click on your profile picture and choose Profile.

Previously, this worked to load the profile page. However now I just get a blank page, with no ability to view/amend details/photo/etc.

Looking in the logs I see the below stack trace, any ideas? Stumped because it implies a connectivity issues, but no similar connectivity issues appears anywhere else within JIRA, just when trying to access the Profile page.

Thanks.

6 answers

0 votes
Richard Duffy May 23, 2019

@Emma_Kay Did you ever resolve this issue? 

Emma_Kay May 24, 2019

Unfortunately not :-(

We will be migrating to a new server later this year, and will do a fresh install from scratch, so I'm hoping this may just solve the issue for us.

Heather R April 27, 2020

@Emma_Kay we have the same issue - are you using Google IAP by any chance?

0 votes
Emma_Kay July 31, 2017

Hi Andrew,

I've already had confirmation back from our networks team, that even when not going via the proxy, you still have the same issue unfortunately.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2017

If you have not already done so I would suggest starting JIRA in safe mode as @Andy Heinzer mentioned to rule out plugins. 

0 votes
Emma_Kay July 31, 2017

Thanks for the replies, yes this is still happening consistently, every time you try to access the profile page.

Andrew - the URL we are using is http://ll-jira:8080

I will pass the proxy suggestion to our networks team to look into, thank you for that.

Jack - yes this is still happening. It happens regardless of browser, regardless of user, regardless of which machine. And still happens after logging in/out.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2017

Emma,

is this still occurring? have you tried to logout/login? have you tried more than one browser?

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2017

Certainly you should not see a blank page there.  But the error log seen so far do not appear to correspond to this particular problem.   That error in the log just means that the JIRA server itself is unable to connect to the base url JIRA is currently using.  It could be because the system can't resolve that hostname to be the IP/interface JIRA is hosted on, or it might be that the site is resolve that address to a different an unexpected address the JIRA instance can't connect to.  But I digress as this appears unrelated.

What URL are you using to visit the JIRA site?

Frequently JIRA is setup to run behind a reverse proxy, if that is the case here then I would recommend trying to follow the steps in How to bypass a Proxy and SSL to test network connectivity in order to test out if this problem might be caused by a proxy in your environment.  If you can direct connect to the JIRA site and bypass any proxy/load balancers and it works, then that does help define the problem to the proxy config.

If that doesn't help then I'd be interested to see if a plugin to JIRA might be causing this.  You can follow the steps in using JIRA Safe mode in order to run JIRA without any user plugins to see if you can reproduce this.   If you cannot reproduce this in safe mode, then that tells us a plugin in your JIRA instance is likely the cause of this problem.

0 votes
Emma_Kay July 19, 2017

Hmm it won't allow me to put the full stack track here.  All it will accept is:

2017-07-17 09:18:09,667 HealthCheck:thread-3 ERROR [c.a.j.p.healthcheck.support.BaseUrlHealthCheck] An error occurred when performing the Base URL healthcheck:
org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to ll-jira:8080 [ll-jira/172.16.30.52] failed: connect timed out

Suggest an answer