Unable to access the Attachments after restoring the Jira backup on a newly installed OnpreJirasrvr

sjatla May 12, 2021

Unable to access the Attachments after restoring the Jira backup on a newly installed On premises Jira server.

As part of disaster recovery, Installed Jira on a new server, Backup has been restored using restoration process. After restore, able to access the Projects and Takas. But unable to access any attached filed. It is giving the following error.1.PNG

During the verification found DB is not configured and it is pointing to the back up file. 

Can you please provide the steps how to configure the Jira with Database?we are using Jira 8.8.0 with PostgreSQL.

2.JPG

4 answers

0 votes
sjatla May 14, 2021

I have copied the "Data" directory from Production server and replaced it on Test Server as follows. Then attachments started working.

data.JPG

My question is what is the role of DB in Jira system? Can we  install Jira without a DB and make it as production system? I have not installed "h2" DB and not sure from where it has been picked. Can we have quick screen sharing session?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2021

Ok, so you've taken an export of one system (which looks like it was running with a Postgres back-end) and restored it on a system which uses h2 for its database.

That's fine,

But yes, the export/import does not include attachments, so restoring them from the data directory on the source system over to the target fixes your problem.

However, one other problem - you say you "restored the data directory" - exactly what do you mean by "data directory"?  If you restored the "jira home data" directory, then you could have just connected your test system to your production data, and that is a very bad thing.  

Do you mean that you restored only the attachments directory?

0 votes
sjatla May 14, 2021

The Jira back up has been created as ZIP file  using Import and Export --> "Backup System" option

backup.JPG

and after installing the Jira on Test server, used the "Restore System" option to restore the backup file created from Production server

Restor.JPG

I can see all projects and Tasks have been restored successfully but attachments are missing. Then I copied the "Data" folder from the production server to Test Server. Now attachments are showing correctly. 

Now I got new question as follows:

1. The process I followed for Restoring the Jira on Test server is correct or not?

2. What is the role of PostgresSQL DB in the Jira? The reason, I didnot used any DB restoration or import while establishing the JIra on Test server. But restoring the backup file on Test server, the system info on Test server is showing as follows. Looks I misssed some Database related restore steps. Can you please suggest?

2.JPG

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

I'm very confused.  You say you've restored a backup, and you say you're using postgres, but your system information says you're on h2, not postgres.

So what did you actually restore?  A postgres backed Jira or an h2 one?  And did your backup process include the attachments?  If so, then how?

Suggest an answer