Unable to Retain field when bulk moving

Ben Weisman January 14, 2022

I have a dropdown field that calls out which platform the bug is on (Windows, Linux etc.).

Depending on the project, the list of options is different. I am trying to bulk tickets between projects and even though I've added identical options to the destination project for this field, it still won' retain the data. Here is the error. This is for Windows.Capture.PNG

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

@Ben Weisman 

Are the source and destination projects Company Managed projects or Team Managed projects?

If Company Managed projects, are you using Field Context to manage which options are available for a given project?

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

Hi Ben,

I am confused as you should be using the same field - not just two fields with the same values. Are you using one field for both projects? Or two different fields with similar values? 

@John Funk It is the same field but the selector list changes based on the project. Not all options are available for all projects.

For example:

FIELD: PLATFORM

Project 1 Options:

Windows, Linux, Windows 10

Project 2 Options

Windows 2016, Windows 11

I'm trying to bulk move tickets from Project 1 to Project 2 so I assumed if I just added Windows, Linux and Windows 10 to the available options for Project 2, I could retain the info. It's not working though.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

Yes, that should work. But if you added the options after you started the bulk change process, it would not recognize the new options. I would suggest that you do a refresh and give it another try. 

@John Funk The issue persists. You can see it shows that the old value is "not available" and there's a Linux option right above it that I'd like it to auto map to. Do I have to manually select it? That defeats the purpose of bulk movements. Tickets can contain many combinations of Platforms.

Capture222.PNG

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

If you try to manually create an issue in Project B - what values do you see for that field? 

I see them available in the selector list. @John Funk 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

Well, that makes no sense then. 

Maybe try to move just one card through the bulk move and see what happens. 

Suggest an answer