Unable to Change the DB using JIRA Configuration Tool ( Access is denied error)

Ranjith Ramu October 4, 2017

Hi,

I have installed the H2 DB . I want to move the DB from H2 to SQL Server 2012.  I have given DB name, host name, port number and db credentials in JIRA configuration Tool,  I am unable to save the configuration. The DB connection was successful and I am keep getting the error

'Access is Denied' error

atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\jira-application.properties (Access is Denied)

The DB account has got db-owner permission. The app server is running on win 2016 VM server

Please advise.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 4, 2017

This is not a database permission error, but a filesystem permission error. The Jira Config Tool is trying to save your changes made in that config tool, such as setting the location of your Jira home folder by setting creating/saving that jira-application.properties file. Since you are seeing an access is denied here, the user account you are using to launch the config.bat file does not have the ability to write/update the file in the path atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\jira-application.properties

This could be a UAC limitation of windows, if your account in Windows in a System Admin you can try to launch a cmd.exe as a "Run as Administrator" and then use that command prompt to call the config.bat tool.

If that doesn't work, I'd recommend navigating to the atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\ folder, right clicking on it, select Properties, and then navigate to the Security tab to check to make sure your account is listed in the read/write/create permissions for that folder and it's subfolders.

If you're still running into problems with this, then I'd recommend following one of the alternative methods in Setting your Jira Application Home directory.

Thank you. You are right. That was an UAC limitations of windows. I launched the cmd prompt with admin rights and the new dB configuration has been saved successfully. After the service is restarted, the login page goes blank and I get the URL below.

http://localhost:8080/secure/errors.jsp

Infact, this was my original issue. I was keep getting this error message when I was initially configuring the DB (SQL Server) settings initially via web interface. The connection was successful, it also creates the DB tables successfully, but the pages goes blank when it goes to the next page. The db account has got dB-owner privilege.

I have pasted the log details for reference. Please help

JIRA-Bootstrap INFO      [c.a.jira.startup.LauncherContextListener] Memory Usage:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Heap memory     :  Used:  102 MiB.  Committed:  404 MiB.  Max:  745 MiB
      Non-heap memory :  Used:   62 MiB.  Committed:   64 MiB.  Max: 1264 MiB
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      TOTAL           :  Used:  164 MiB.  Committed:  467 MiB.  Max: 2009 MiB

2017-10-04 20:24:08,166 http-nio-8080-exec-1 ERROR anonymous 1224x1x1 - X.X.X.X(IPaddress) / [c.atlassian.instrumentation.Instrument] Unable to snapshot thread local operations (implementation of OpTimerFactory is not a ThreadLocalOpTimerFactory): null

2017-10-04 20:24:08,322 http-nio-8080-exec-2 WARN anonymous 1224x2x1 - X.X.X.X(IPaddress) /secure/errors.jsp [c.a.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter] Rejecting security-sensitive request that bypassed Johnson filter: /secure/errors.jsp

It also creates JIRA-home.Lock file under the path below

C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA.

Please suggest. Thanks

Ranjith Ramu October 5, 2017

Hi, 

1. I tried increasing the memory
  2. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the application four times.
  3. Tried deleting the osgi plugins and bundled plugins 
  4. Restarted my server

It didn't work. I have been keep getting the error. I have the most recent version of Java (9), installed on my win 2016 server. 

http-nio-8080-exec-1 ERROR anonymous 1224x1x1 - X.X.X.X(IPaddress) / [c.atlassian.instrumentation.Instrument] Unable to snapshot thread local operations (implementation of OpTimerFactory is not a ThreadLocalOpTimerFactory): null

http-nio-8080-exec-2 WARN anonymous 1224x2x1 - X.X.X.X(IPaddress) /secure/errors.jsp [c.a.jira.security.JiraSecurityFilter] Rejecting security-sensitive request that bypassed Johnson filter: /secure/errors.jsp

Thanks

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2017

The lock file is created anytime to start Jira.  This is to keep your home directory from being connected to more than 1 Jira instance on the machine at the same time.  Connecting the same home directory to 2 or more instances that are running at the same time could be expected to corrupt data.  But that file should disappear when you stop Jira.

In regards to the continued technical problems here, I created a support request for this problem to better try to address these.  That way we can better gather logs from your system if need be to understand what might be causing problems for Jira.

Suggest an answer