Two Boards for One Project with One Flow

mcacciatore July 7, 2015

Hello, I am setting up a project using JIRA Agile for my team. I am using Scrum methodology.

Our team is split into two groups. Those requesting the work, and those doing the work. I ideally like to have two boards for our team.

One board would be a Sprint board, where the people doing the work have a few columns to drag issues between; however, the last column would be called something like Done (Internal).

This column would be tied to a status that the second board would then pick up and show in its first column. The second board would represent a separate flow, where those requesting the work can log in, select this second board, and see the issues that are completed by the people doing the work. They could then drag items on that board around as they see fit, to mark items as truly complete based on their approval.

The reason I want two boards is:

• The first board is for sprints, and it could take the requesters longer than a sprint duration to actually approve the items, but I'd like to get them off the sprint board ASAP when we're done working on them.
  • The second board provides a one stop shop without clutter for those making the requests. They can simply log in, select their board, and only see items relevant to them that are ready for review.

Any pointers or example workflows that have this setup would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2015

I have two similar boards, one for the Scrum Team and one for the Product Owner. They can see each other's boards too. 

The Scrum Team board includes columns for To Do (including backlog), In Progress, Review, and Done (end of the Sprint). The PO board includes Proposed, Team (merges To Do, In Progress, Review, and Done together), Final Review, and Closed. The PO Board follows Kanban principles while the Scrum Team board follows Scrum. 

The PO can move issues into the To Do column putting them into the backlog and they can move issues out of Final Review into Closed. 

The Team moves issues from To Do through Done and into Final Review where the PO takes over. 

Only thing to watch for is the PO board needs a way to not show everything and yet show things that have a Resolution and a Version number. I tweak the filter to show things that aren't Closed for more than 5 days. 

mcacciatore July 9, 2015

So I think this is close to what I want. The issue I'm having is, I have the following statuses: - To Do - Assigned - In Progress - Done And I have the following columns on my board: - To Do - Assigned - In Progress - Done To Do status is the default status for open issues. I want tickets with this status to be on my backlog planning view, but I don't want this column to show up in my Work view... I want Assigned to the first column people see in the Work view. But if I omit the To Do status from the board columns, then nothing shows up in the Work view. Does this make sense? It's hard to relay it over this forum.

Like Russell Avre likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2015

That won't work. You're saying that you want to have things on the board but not on the board at the same time, which obviously, you can't do. Think through the process - you create an issue, it lands in "To Do" status. You include it in a board, and eventually plan it into a sprint, and start that sprint. Your developers go to the board, and, um, well, can't see any issues to drag out of To Do into assigned or in-progress because you have not included them. You need to have that status somewhere on the board, or the board is pretty much useless. The workaround (which is over complex and not very Agile) - drop the to-do column so you're in the broken state I just described above. Then filter for "everything in the sprint we just started" and bulk-move them into the "assigned" status (or individually). Clunky, but it's as close as you're going to get. The other, better, option - use the scrum board (with all four columns) as intended, for planning and assigning work. When a developer runs out of work, they go to the scrum board to move things from to-do. Then, set up a Kanban board *without* the to-do column, and that's it - you have your "view board without to-do"

Ravindra Rao April 19, 2018

Hi Mike, we are trying to do something very similar. But we are having issues to set up the 2 boards. I am wondering how the workflows look like for the 2 boards. Can you shed any light on that?

Our Product board will have the following columns: Idea, Requirements, Ready for development, Test and Ready for release.

Where we are having issues is in creating the appropriate statuses and their categories.

Thanks!

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2015

Really simple, and you've almost got yourself there already.  Have a scrum board as you describe, and then create Kanban boards for the other users. The issues will all have the same workflows underneath them, and you can use the Scrum for all your planning.  The Kanban boards will follow the same flow in the background, but you can be as creative as you like with the columns and definitions in there.  Just ask Kanban board users to not click "release", and all will be fine!

Anna Pahlevanyan October 1, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I have a similar question.

I want to have 2 boards, one Kanban and one Scrum.

I want Kanban board to have the following statuses:
- Backlog

- Blocked

- Selected

- Grooming

- Sizing

- Ready for Dev

2.PNG

I want the Scrum board to have the following:

To Do / Reopened

In Dev

In QA

In UAT

Done

1.PNG

I want them to have the same backlog, and everything that shows up on the Kanban board to be in the backlog list, everything in current sprint - on the sprint board

3.PNG

How can I achieve this?

EDIT: By the way, if anyone is wondering about the same thing:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-do-set-up-Grooming-and-Sprint-flow/qaq-p/1191817#M54787

Like DavidinTexas likes this
José Antonio Guerrero May 20, 2020

@Anna Pahlevanyan 
I think that is not possible. :(

Anna Pahlevanyan May 20, 2020

I actually got it to work! See the link I left above

Suggest an answer