Trying to show sub tasks where the parent is in a particular status or statuses

Simeon Herbert April 1, 2021

I think this can be done with Scriptrunner but due to the cost we are no longer allowed to use it.  I run two teams in a kanban style using the concept of big things/little things.  And want to show all the little things when we are working on big things.  Other teams in the company don't work this way - and I really only want from script runner the ability to show the link and view related issues.

Is there anything else out there that might give me this at a more manageable cost - we have LOTS of jira users but only 20 who want this feature.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2021

Hi @Simeon Herbert  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

How much information do you need for the sub-tasks? There are a couple of out-of-the-box solutions depending on what you need...

Would a list of issues be enough if you could drill into them?

You could create a filter, adding the sub-task column to the results, and that would give the parents and their sub-tasks.  You could then select the link for a sub-task to drill down.

project = myProject
AND issueType = Story
AND status IN ("one status", "another status")
ORDER BY subtasks ASC

Need more details?

You could use Automation for Jira to create a query dynamically to get the sub-tasks.

• Trigger: Manual
  • Action: Lookup Issues with your JQL criteria for the stories you are interested in checking
  • Action: Create Variable (let's call it varStoryList) to build a comma-separated value list of the stories' keys using {{#lookupIssues}}{{key}}{{^last}}, {{/}}{{/}}
  • Action: Lookup issues with JQL to grab the sub-tasks.  Add more filter criteria as you wish.
project = myProject
AND parent IN ( {{varStoryList}} )
ORDER BY parent ASC, key ASC
Here is the list of sub-tasks:
<ul>
{{#lookupIssues}}
<li><a href="{{url}}">{{key}} - {{summary}}</a></li>
{{/}}
</ul>

Best regards,

Bill

So I am actually trying to create a board that shows both stories and sub tasks, but I only want them to show when the story is in status 1,2 or 3.

Trouble is I have to include the sub tasks status's too and then it all goes wrong.  I end up with either stories not showing unless it has sub tasks or subtask  showing irrelevant of the status of the story

I am using:

project = "AS" AND "Team Owner[Dropdown]" = "Build Team 2" AND (issuetype in (story, Subtask, task, Sub-task) AND status in ("to do", "Ready for 3 Amigos", "Ready for Dev", "In Progress", "Waiting for Review", "In Review", "Task Done","Ready for FQC","In FQC") OR issuetype = bug) ORDER BY flagged, rank

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2021

Gotcha; you are definitely going to need a marketplace add-on for JQL to impact a board filter with a correlated sub-query you need, as @Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_ suggested...

At least until our vendor realizes this is basic, missing functionality that should have been included long, long ago.  ;^)

Like Daniel Appelquist likes this
0 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2021

Hi Simeon,

My name is Kristian full disclosure I am from Adaptavist who is the maker of ScriptRunner for Jira Cloud.

I can confirm that if you want to use just the search features of ScriptRunner that we provide another plugin called Enhanced Search (JQL and Subqueries) which provides just the search features at a smaller cost and this may be something that will help you to achieve your requirements.

Otherwise, I do not believe that this type of search can be done out of the box with JQL in Jira Cloud but I can confirm that there are lots of other companies that make plugins to enhance JQL searches in the Cloud and you can see all of these in the page here to allow you to compare them and to see what will best suit your requirements.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Kristian

I like this and will have a look - thanks.

Suggest an answer