Trying to send an automated message to a Slack Private Channel from Jira Server

mbenes September 9, 2022

I'm configuring Jira Automation to send a Slack Message to a Private Channel. I found an article that says you need to invite "@Jira" to the private slack channel, but then discovered this is for integrating Slack with Jira Cloud. We are still on server.

This article mentions you can send messages to private channels, but lacks the details that I need.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/use-automation-with-slack-993924688.html

I've been able to send the messages to a public channel and an individual, but I keep getting "Channel Not Found" errors when I use the private channel.

1 answer

0 votes
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022
mbenes September 9, 2022

Yes, this is what I am doing, but I'm unable to get it to work with a private channel. I'll update my description to make it more clear.

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

Hum I just tryed with slack free tier and it works with a private slack channel.

What is the response in the audit log of the automation rule ?

Did you let Channel or user empty as the info is provided in the webhook url you configured as integration on slack side.

Regards

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
mbenes September 12, 2022

The error I'm getting in the error log is: 

Error from Slack [404]: channel_not_found

If I change it to a public channel, it works. So, I assumed it's a problem with the private channel.

I'm not sure what the last question means?

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2022

Did you let "channel or user" empty or did you set the name of your channel in it?

mbenes September 15, 2022

Someone else set up the webhook for me as I don't have that permission in Slack. I can follow up with them. But, again, it worked with a test channel (public) and it works when sending directly to a user. I just get the error when sending it to a private channel.

Suggest an answer