Trying to make a system field required or at least enforce some similar behaviour

Svetlin March 5, 2024

Hello, Atlassian Community!

I also already asked a question in which I mentioned one of the obstacles I am facing, which now after I cleared the question why certain fields pop up in the Epic screen, is no more my major blocker. What I now face as most problematic is setting some kind of behaviour that mimics the one for the required custom fields but for the system ones.

I am trying to satisfy a request of one of our team leads (user) who needs the fields "Parent" and "Team" to be required. However, as you may well know, these are now system fields and for this reason, when I go to field configurations and tap on "Edit" there is then no button "Required" for the two fields in question. 

I got advised by a colleague, that using an Automation might be a good work-around, that did not prove to work the way me and our users would expect though. 

A detailed description of what I tried: 

I attempted to create an automation that would check if these fields are filled upon issue transition or creation and then notify the assignee or revert the issue to a previous status if the fields are empty. However, this approach doesn't prevent the issue transition or creation but rather reacts to it. I'm curious if anyone has found a more direct or effective method to enforce this requirement?

For the custom field "Type of Work", that "Required" button was there and the field is now successfully set as required.

Thank you all in advance for your time and help!

1 answer

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2024

Hi Svetlin,

Maybe try adding some validators for the fields in the Create transition of the workflow.

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2024

@Svetlin  Try to add Field Required validator on transition. 

Svetlin March 5, 2024

Yes, just did that, thank you, it worked but only for the "Parent" system field. Weird enough, though "Team" to me seems to be the same kind of system field, it is not possible to be added as it is not on the list of fields when you add "Required validators":reqfields.png

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
Svetlin March 5, 2024

I contacted Atlassian to ask them about this, I will keep you updated about their response :) 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2024

Yes, Team is a system field. Try adding it to the Create screen used by the project. 

Also, it will be good to hear why Atlassian support says. 

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events