• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Tracking a tickets last update, without using the Update Date field

Hey eveyrone,

I'm being constantly asked by one of our DevOps managers for a way to help him track stale tickets. Now the issue here is that we have a lot of scripted fields via script runner, and these scripted fields also update other fields on the ticket, they can update every 3 hours, and basically, the Updated Date on a ticket in this project can not be trusted to be accurate.

The scriptrunner scripted fields don't transition an issue or anything like that, but they update field values. So since field values are frequently being updated on these tickets, the Updated Date is no longer accurate of a true, user-made update.

I directed the user to try to try JQL like project = DOS and (issueFunction in lastComment("before -7d")) and (project = DOS and !(status changed after -7d) AND status not in ("Closed", Open))
, however this isnt giving him the full picture like Updated Date used to.

I've also reached out to script runner to see if it's possible to disable firing off an update event on-field updates made by the scripted fields, and while that is possible, that isn't going to work for us.

Do you have any ideas on how we can get better reporting via JQL on issues that truly are stale? I know one issue he has with the JQL I provided, is that he can't sort by which ticket is the oldest, or which ticket hasn't transitioned or been commented in the longest amount of time.

Do you have any other ideas on workarounds? I'm out of ideas on this one.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Jordan McCombs ,

I have one suggestion - I don't like it much, but I wasn't able to find anything better. 

You can try to create another datetime custom field and custom script listener, which will execute the script ever time issue is updated. The script will determine, whether the update is made by technical user or real user and if it is real user, stores "now" to it. This way you should be able to get datetime of the last change made by real user.

Hey @Hana Kučerová,

Thank you for the suggestion. We have had similar thoughts over here on our end, and we also aren't big fans of the idea, but I just can't seem to think of any other solution besides adding in another date field. I'll see if anyone else has any other ideas for a few days, but I think this going to be our answer.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,104 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you