Tracking Activities in Sales Lead Tracking Template

mkeaton September 12, 2022

HI, I'm using the sales lead tracking template in Jira.  I don't the best way to track activities for each opportunity.  I'm using Issues for each lead opportunity.  Do I create Subtasks to track the sales activities for each opportunity?  Then do I have a separate kanban board to show the status of sales activities?

Help me with the best way to track sales activities.

Thanks

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2022

Hi Michael,

I would create an Epic for each opportunity, and then create individual tasks for each activity performed for that opportunity. 

mkeaton September 15, 2022

Thanks.  I'll look into this.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2022

Hello @mkeaton 

Did you create this as a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? It will say which one near the bottom of the navigation pane on the left.

What type of sales activities do you want to track for each lead? What would be the workflow (statuses) for those activities?

This project template is in the Business/Work Management category, so there is some functionality that is not available for use with it that you may be familiar with if you have worked with Software types of projects in Jira. For example, Business projects typically have just one workflow for all issue types. And while it is possible to manually set up additional boards for your project by basing the board on a Saved Filter, only the original board will show up in the navigation pane for the project.

mkeaton September 13, 2022

HI  @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your help.  

It is a Team Managed project.  

I mainly want to schedule and track follow up activity.  I'd like to add tasks that need to be done, then track the history of what's been done.  I need due dates and when things are completed.  Here are a couple of examples for a lead.

1.) "Call Alfred to set up a face to face meeting" (Due Date of 11/13/22)

Then add a comment like "Talked to Alfred and scheduled a f2f 11/27/22" and change status to done.

2.) "Meeting with Alfred" (Due Date 11/27/22.)

Then add comment like "Had f2f with Alfred.  We discuss his requirements and asked me to give him a proposal." and change the status to done.

Is this enough?  Let me know if you need more.

By the way, I'm tracking leads as Issues with a work flow of Opportunity, Qualifying, Proposal Sent, Hold, Lost, Win.  It's for consulting opportunities, like "ACME is doing a chip project and needs a strategy"

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2022

I don't work much with a Business/Work Management project, but as I understand it you don't have the option to map statuses from different workflows into the board columns (I believe). Because of that I think you would not be able to have separate statuses for those sub-tasks like "To Do", "In Progress", and "Done". You would only be able to use the statuses already included in the workflow for those sub-tasks like Opportunity, Won, Lost.

I think you might have to switch to using a Software project instead of a Work Management project if you want that sort of flexibility.

Thanks Trudy.  So you think if I switched templates then I could setup Opportunity, Qualifying, Proposal Sent, Hold, Lost, Win for Issues and then "To Do", "In Progress", and "Done" for Sub-tasks?

I guess your saying a Software project can have multiple "Work Processes".

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2022

Correct.

Note that the functionality of Work Management and Software projects differ. The Software Projects don't have the Summary, List, Timeline, Calendar, and Forms features that are available in Work Management projects. But Software projects have other features not available to Work Management, like both Scrum and Kanban management options and associated "agile" methodology reports.

You might want to take some time to review the features that are available, and not available, in each type of project. I've not yet found a good document that does a side by side comparison for these project types in Cloud. I bet there is one, I just haven't found it yet. If I find one, I'll post it here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events