Track which Epics have related issues in Current Sprint

Alex Nodeland June 15, 2021

Hello.

I would like to keep track of which Epics have related issues which are in the current Sprint.

It seems that this is impossible to achieve with OOB JQL (I would not like to use any add-on). I'm aiming to implement a clean solution.

Most likely I will need to implement a custom field that stores a boolean (issues in current Sprint or not) and add it to the Field Scheme which I map to Epics, and then filter on that custom field. 

The Automations feature seems to come close to being able to achieve automatic updating of the aforementioned custom field by something like triggering an automation when a sprint starts, but this does not create any trigger issue. This must be achieved with a Branch Rule for "Issues in current Sprint", but there is then no way to operate on the parent Epics of those issues.

Any ideas on how to implement this with the standard Jira software?

1 answer

2 votes
Alex Nodeland June 15, 2021

There's probably a way to do this by adding another custom field to issue types that belong to Epics, and creating an automation which automatically updates that field when a sprint is started and they are in the sprint. Then I would create a second automation that is triggered by the updating of that field, and branch to the epics of those issues, and update the custom field on the Epic keeping track of whether its issues are in the current sprint. I would have to add a third automation for cleaning up once the sprint is closed to update the custom issue fields, triggering the automation on their Epics. This is missing coverage for issues which are added or removed from a running sprint, but it may be addressable.

This seems possible, but a more complicated approach. I'd like to avoid adding more custom fields than are absolutely necessary. 

Suggest an answer