Top swimlane on Kanban board disappears after a few minutes

saurabh.shah April 6, 2021

I have a Kanban board setup with swimlanes for each Assignee. I started noticing the issue 3 weeks back - the top swimlane would disappear after a few minutes. I would refresh the page and the board would show all the swimlanes but then after a few minutes, I would see the swimlane for the first assignee disappear again. Any suggestions?

Doing some digging into the Network Panel, I found that the subsequent calls to the API - atlassian.net/rest/greenhopper/1.0/xboard/work/poll.json is not returning the data for the first assignee

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2021

Hello @saurabh.shah , 

The behavior you are describing sounds like something is interrupting the page load on an autorefresh event.  The board should refresh automatically whenever someone moves a card or makes another change on the following two events, discussed further here with additional updates coming in the future:

• If the window does not currently have focus it will update automatically when you return to the window
  • If the window does have focus you will receive a message with a link that you can click to update the board to show the changes

OR the board will auto-refresh whenever you make a change locally.

In testing, I did not see the same behavior you are seeing and I was never seeing the swimlane drop off or lose packets on the API call you mentioned.  So if you are just sitting on the board and the top swimlane disappears, my suspicion is that there is something local like a browser extension interrupting the refresh event.

So initially I would recommend checking out the "Indispensable tests" section of our Browser Troubleshooting Guide to run through a few steps like flushing cache and alternate browsers and incognito browser, etc..  to rule out the various local events that can trigger a local interruption on a page load.

I do know that extensions like popup blockers can cause a lot of interruption events in Jira, as things like the auto-refresh will act similarly to a popup event due to the protocols used are similar, So I would suggest starting with disabling extensions or adding exception rules to a popup blocker extension for the URL of your site.

If you are making changes when this triggers the refresh, are you able to identify the steps in any particular order that triggers the error?  For this, I would suggest a cache flush as the first step in this case as there could be a locally corrupted cache element loading up the board with the missing elements.

But do run through the checks and let me know what you find.

Regards,
Earl

saurabh.shah April 8, 2021

Thanks Earl for the detailed response.

I do see the issue on a fresh environment in incognito mode.

To reproduce the issue, you have to wait for a few minutes. Initially, the atlassian.net/rest/greenhopper/1.0/xboard/work/poll.json call will return all assignee info but after a few minutes, the same call will drop off the first assignee

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events