Too many linked tickets on kanban board

Wilson Seow January 4, 2022

Hi, i got to know from my team that if I'm linking too many opened tickets from one project to another single ticket I created on a "development" project, it'll ruin the kanban board.

May I know if this is true? and what is the potential issue if this happened and what should be the best practice?

A quick scenario for my question:

I have a few repetitive complaints about a system bug and have asked users to open a ticket whenever they're facing it. So right now we have around 15++ tickets (still growing) that opened with a similar issue and I'm opening a "development" ticket on another project for our internal team to fix this issue and it's all done over in Kanban board.

2 answers

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

Hi Wilson,

I would close the duplicates with a status of Duplicate or something like that (you would need to add that to your workflow). And when you close it, add a comment that is is a duplicate of: and then list the original issue. 

Then you can still have all of your links, but they shouldn't show on the board if you exclude issues in that status. 

Thanks @John Funk . I'll try that out to see if that works and will also monitor the kanban board too!

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

Hi @Wilson Seow 

I'm really not sure what you team thinks would be ruined on their kanban board. Although they may be concerned that the reports are all duplicates of the same error and it's not useful to keep them all in their backlog etc.

Depending on their concerns, you could make the new reports sub tasks on an overarching ticket. 

Thanks @Tom Lister . I'm thinking it could be that the duplicated issues are causing a problem for the reporting.

We opened each ticket for different use cases, but all are with similar issues. 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2022

Hi

i didn’t suggest closing them as I was thinking the reporters may want a notification at the time it is fixed.

Wilson Seow January 5, 2022

Thanks @Tom Lister ! Same thought as me..let me work with my team further and see what are the potential issues that they're addressing. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events