Time to resolution VS Over-all time to resolution

Andy Vo July 13, 2021

What is the difference between the ticket status ,Time to Resoluition and Overall Time to Resolution?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

Welcome to the Community!

Status and resolution are two totally separate things with different meanings and values.  Do not confuse them.

• Status is an indicator of where an issue is in its workflow (process step).
  • Resolution is a field that gives us a broad idea of why someone believes an issue is "resolved" and needs no further action - things like done, fixed, duplicate, unable to reproduce, pebcak (yes, I've seen that one), cancelled.

Technically, there is no link between them, but most sane Jira setups create the logical relationship, setting resolution to something when moving an issue into an end status, and clearing it out if the issue is re-opened.

So, to answer your question:

• Status = status, as above
  • Time to Resolution = the time an issue takes to get resolved, it is usually measured from "created date/time" to "date/time the resolution was set on the issue"
  • Overall Time to Resolution = not a field I recognise as standard.  You'll need to ask your admins.  (Or show us where you are seeing it)
Andy Vo July 13, 2021

Maybe I should have said Metrics. We currently have a SLA metric that is tracked called "Over-all time to resolution" but I am having trouble defining what this is. Each ticket carries this time metric in addition to "Time to resolution," which metric is more obvious to me. 

Suggest an answer