Tickets that are Closed and Resolved prior to Sprint end keep moving over to the next Sprint

Eric Kim October 14, 2021

Hello,

I've noticed a strange issue where tickets in our Sprint, despite being Closed and Resolved during the Sprint, continue to be rolled over to the next Sprint. When i look at the Sprint Report, it suggests that the Issue wasn't completed in this Sprint, and show a status that's considered incomplete/unresolved for the affected tickets.

However, i've been absolutely making sure to Close these tickets (and marking them as Resolved) prior to Sprint closing. Looking at the Ticket details and history confirms this, yet they consistently move over to the next Sprint. Please see images below:

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.38.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.39.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.40.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.40.21 AM.png

As the pictures above suggests, this behavior affected us for the last 4 Sprints, but we haven't made any changes to board settings or project configurations that coincides with this time.

You can see all these tickets show up as `Verify in Production` in the Sprint report, but looking into the ticket history for all of these tickets always shows that the Resolution was set to DONE, and status was changed to CLOSED, prior to closing the Sprint. However, when the Sprint is closed, the ticket is then added to the next Sprint.

I've also worked with other Projects/Boards with this exact same configuration and process within the same organization, dozens of times without issues, so at this point this feels more like a Jira bug...

Any ideas what's going on here?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2021

Do the issues that are moving to the next sprint have any incomplete sub-tasks?

Are the issues set to a status that is mapped to the right-most column of your scrum board? If they are not in the right-most column, the sprint completion process will consider them incomplete.

Eric Kim October 15, 2021

Ah, the right-most column might explain it. Thanks so much @Trudy Claspill!

0 votes
Sierra Larsen December 2, 2022

I don't have an answer but I have the same issue.  My sprint board has an unmapped status after complete for verification so maybe that is somehow related?  Both are done statuses.  Even after they have been verified (the last column on a separate board that pulls in two project's work and the unmapped status on the sprint board), they are still showing up under the history tab as being added to each new sprint.  When I query for issues being carried over sprint to sprint, they are showing up.  No subtasks.  @Trudy Claspill .  Any suggestions?  I can post a new question if that is how I am supposed to ask.  Thank you!Capture.PNG

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2022

Hello @Sierra Larsen 

I think this may end up being an involved dialog. I recommend you start a new Question, and add a link here to your new question in case somebody searches and finds this post.

In your new question please show us the column/status mapping for the boards you are using. Also the Filter Query for each board.

Are you running sprints in both boards? If so do you create separate sprints in each board?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events