This is regarding Fix versions field in Xray test/test sets.

Vinay January 24, 2021

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, apologies if i have chosen wrong topic. The reason I have reached out to the forum is because, I have few questions regarding Xray and its fields. Below are the details.

1.  I am trying to see if we can get status for all tests under a test set based on say version1. it looks like i can get that. but question is the tests under the test sets have multiple versions, say for example apple, orange. and same tests are being used for multiple Test sets which are part of different test plan. in that case can i get status of a particular test sets based on version apple or orange separately. if yes can you give me some documentation or explanation for the same.

2. Second question i have is "Fix version" field is to be for each test case under Test sets or its enough to get "Version" assigned to test sets.

Appreciate the help provided.!!

Thanks & Regards,

Vinay

1 answer

0 votes
Rawan Bardini
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2021

Hi Vinay,

I will do my best to help answer your questions.

1. If I understand your problem statement correctly, you have Tests that have many Fix Versions (FVs) associated to them, and they are showing in many Test Sets. You want to be able to see the status of the Test Set depending on which FV is selected (apple or orange for example). 
    1. If I got that right, I would recommend using a Test Set List report in Xray. It would give you a list of Test Sets with the Status of each one, where you can specify the Fix Version that you want to see the Test Run results for. So you could have a Test Set list for the apple FV, and another Test Set list for the orange FV and see things that way.
    2. Take a look at the Xray user guide regarding the Test Set list, or any other built in reports that may help you.

2. In regards to your second question on Fix Versions, there are many ways that Fix Versions can be used and I think it depends on your vision and intent of using Xray as a Test Management system. You could specify a FV on the Test Set, and also on the Test. Or you could only specify it on the Test Set for example. There are times where it may make more sense to not include a FV on a Test, let's say if you plan to reuse that Test for many releases, like a Regression test for example. In that case maybe the FV doesn't add as much value at the Test level, and would be better indicated on a Test Execution for example, so you can see the different runs of the test through the different FVs and the corresponding results. So I would say there is not really a right or wrong way to use FVs, but all depends on your intent. I would review the Xray User Guide to see if you can determine the best way you would like to use FVs in your organization.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!
Rawan

Suggest an answer