• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • This is a rapid board question. After the global rank migration, will relative ranks still be available for display on a particular issue? Is yes, will those relative ranks be at the global level or the project level?

This is a rapid board question. After the global rank migration, will relative ranks still be available for display on a particular issue? Is yes, will those relative ranks be at the global level or the project level?

Nancy Belser August 14, 2011

After the global rank migration, will relative ranks still be available for display on a particular issue? Is yes, will those relative ranks be at the global level or the project level?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2011

Hi Nancy,

Just to clarify, the migration from "GreenHopper Ranking" to "Global Rank" custom field has not yet taken place. Once we do the migration there will no longer be a relative rank shown on the JIRA View Issue page on the project level.

The relative rank of an issue would be determined by what Rapid View the issue is found within, and what other issues are in that query.

Thank you,

Nicholas

Nancy Belser August 15, 2011

Thanks for replying. I think there might be some disagreement on our side of the fence about that. What will happen when you view the 'global rank' from the jira query results page? What will show up in that field? Is it supposed to be viewable at all? These changes will affect some of our externally-written processes that are used for project management.

Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2011

Hi Nancy,

You can still see the results when you add the Global Rank column on the Issue Navigator:

https://skitch.com/nmuldoon/fxq3m/screen-shot-2011-08-16-at-12.21.05-pm

It is viewable.

Does that clarify?

What does your 'externally-written processes' for project management incorporate? How do you undertake project management?

Thanks Nancy,

Nicholas

Yes, I found that out when I added the global rank to my viewable columns. Our project management process consists of a jira project that contains all of the new feature requests. We then link those issues to our development issues that are in other projects. Our process obtains the relative rank via the sort order of our query results. We then apply that number to a "rank" customfield (not a greenhopper rank, but a "number" customfield) in all of the issues linked back to the new feature request issues via a script that runs nightly. There is more to it than that but I run a process each night that updates the "rank" customfield. This process allows our product managers to prioritize our new feature request via greenhopper, but have the linked issues match in rank. Our developers use that rank to determine the priority for their issues. There isn't a way to do what we want in Jira/Greenhopper without this custom process. We just rolled it out recently.

0 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2011

I like it! Sounds like a solid approach to managing the inflow of requests and queuing it up for developers.

So, you'll be able to use the Global Rank in the same fashion then? When will you switch to the Rapid Board?

What is prompting the switch to the Rapid Board?

Thanks Nancy,

Nicholas

Glad to hear you like it. I am not sure we will switch to the rapid board, quite frankly. I only started investigating it because our head of project management wanted change history for ranking changes. I may be wrong here, but as I read your note on GHS-347, rank change history is only going to be available through the rapid board. Is that correct?

I think the rapid board is cool for certain types of ranking, but I think the planning board suits our needs better for the aforementioned process. We need to see a list of all issues and be able to move them around to change the ranks. Having them in buckets by status as on the rapid board doesn't make for a straightforward ranking process. It is confusing if you consider an issue "in progress" to be a lower priority than an issue in "to do". How do you change the rank in these circumstances? Our process is all about adapting to changes in rank for feature requests; especially important since we are a commercial software company. Seeing all issues in one list (a la the planning board) works better for us. I hope the planning board does not go away. It is really all we are using in greenhopper right now.

Suggest an answer