The best way to set up a Scrum workflow

Jonathan Selander June 15, 2014

Hi,

I recently got started Agile and am currently in the process of migrating all existing projects and tasks to it. We're currently on Trello using a workflow like this:

1. Issue comes in as pending
  2. Our team estimates the task in time which represents a value
  3. Client accepts the task and it goes into the backlog for sprint planning

For the actual sprints, it works like this:

1. Task has an assignee and is in the sprint backlog
  2. When work is started it gets moved to "in progress"
  3. After work has been done the task gets "pending review"
  4. Somebody internal checks reviews the task and ...
    1. ... moves the task back to the sprint backlog, ie "restarts" it
    2. ... moves the task to "Awaiting QA"
  5. Somebody internal deploys the task to the QA server and moves it to "Ready for QA"
  6. Client tests the functionality of the task and ...
    1. ... moves the task back to the sprint backlog, ie "restarts" it
    2. ... moves the task to "Ready for Deployment"
  7. Somebody internal deploys the task to production and moves the task to "Done/Deployed"

I might have missed some steps here and the type of task can make the work flow a bit different. I have set up the relations between statuses and things in a custom workflow, which seems to work correctly. I have also for a test project set up custom columns in the Agile work mode with the appropriate statuses. Coming from the trello world i created one column for each status except "restart". However, looking at the way JIRA Agile is set up, it seems like this might not be the right way to do it.

Any thoughts about this? What could/hould I be doing differently? We really want to get this right before moving all 25 projects and 400 tasks into JIRA.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2014

However, looking at the way JIRA Agile is set up, it seems like this might not be the right way to do it

There is no one right way to do Agile development. It really depends on how you want to execute your sprints.

1. Client accepts the task and it goes into the backlog for sprint planning

You might want to consider a Kanban board for this stage where the end of the Kanban board is the begining of the Scrum board.

Jonathan Selander June 15, 2014

Thanks! What makes me ask the question is the fact that one column can have many different states, but i don't really know how to properly set this up with my states (and have less columns

Suggest an answer