The ID's tickets created on Jira, Can be duplicated or if the sequence can be irregular.

Roberto Alexander Sanchez Peguero August 13, 2020

I have been looking at some ID's tickets created on Jira, and i have some IDs that are not displaying any information, when i extract the list of all Jira's tickets i have more than 50 IDs that are not in the tool.

Can it be posible that Jira has an issue with the ID generator?

How does Jira assign the ID to the tickets?

Are these IDs created sequentially?

Does Jira have the funtion to erease or hide some ID?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2020

Hi Roberto, welcome to the Community.

Possible bug? Yes but doubtful based upon my experience. More likely explanation is that issues were deleted (bad practice in almost all cases).

IDs are indeed created sequentially within a project.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2020

By ID do you mean the issue key, e.g. TEST-123.

That changes when an issue is moved to another project.

There is also an issue id that is the unchanging id in the jiraissue DB table

Like # people like this
Roberto Alexander Sanchez Peguero August 13, 2020

It maybe the reason. Thanks Matt! 

If i move an issue to other project, the original ID assigned are going to be linked with the new ID in the new project?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2020

It won’t be “linked”. If you move an issue the issue key sequence will be the next available. So let’s say you move ABC-123 to Project DEF and the most recent DEF issue isn’t DEF-333 then the moved issue will be DEF-334.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events