Text field including ": FTP " creates communications breakdown

Francois Descamps March 23, 2021

Hi,

I am using Jira v8.5.11. When I insert a specific text in any text field, a communications breakdown error appears. There is no other option but to reload the page.

Jira-Communications-breakdown-issue.jpg

What is not working:

• ": FTP "

What is working:

• ":FTP"
  • ":
    FTP"
  • ": FTPx"
  • ": x"

It looks like the issue is only with this specific syntax. Is anyone else facing the same issue?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

Hi @Francois Descamps

could you please also check if at the time this is happening any error is logged to atlassian-jira.log in filesystem?

Regards,
Daniel

Francois Descamps April 14, 2021

Hi @Daniel Ebers

Unfortunately, I am not a system admin so I can't get this kind of information. Unless I can access it from the user interface?

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2021

Hi @Francois Descamps 

Welcome to community! Try checking the developer console of your browser under "network" tab to see the exact error that is thrown. That would give you an idea of what's really happening.

Francois Descamps April 14, 2021

Hi @Prince Nyeche 

thanks for your reply. I am not sure what we are looking for. Here is a screenshot of the network tab:

Jira-Communications-Breakdown.png

Do you need extra information?

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 14, 2021

You should be looking for errors in red and seeing what the response says. I think Jira might be trying to validate the string. I'm not sure it should even do that. Have you tried on a different browser? 

Francois Descamps April 16, 2021

I tried with Firefox based browsers and Chrome based browsers. The result is the same.

Here is a screenshot of an error.

Ajax-error.png

If I get it right, there is an error with Ajax or javascript that appears with this request https://[...]/_/download/contextbatch/js/jira.browse.project,atl.general,jira.view.issue,jira.global,project.issue.navigator,jira.general,-_super/batch.js?agile_global_admin_condition=true&jag=true&jaguser=true&jira.create.linked.issue=true&locale=en-UK&richediton=true

But not sure that the previous statement is correct.

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2021

I'm really not sure at this point why Jira will block such text in a text field and cause that error. However what I will suggest at the moment, is to reach out to your admin and explain the situation to them. That way they can check Jira's log to find out more details on the error to know the root cause.

Like Francois Descamps likes this

Suggest an answer