Test Case Template Vs Test cases creation

Anju Isha July 7, 2017

Hi,

We are using JIRA in our Agile project. And I want to create Test plan, Test cases the way that we are using now is Create a dummy/blank Test case Template and when the release starts we create a Test Plan and trying to create a test case when it asks to select the template we are selecting the Test Case Template that was blank and creating/updating the Test steps from that.

But do we need to Create seperate Test Case Template for each story and in the test plan select that TCT as test case? which is the correct flow?

Please suggest

Regards

Divya

2 answers

1 vote
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2017

Just to clarify, it sounds like you're also using the TestFLO add-on, correct? I use that add-on myself and recognize the terminology.

Really, the process flow for the TestFLO add-on looks like this:

• Create Test Case Templates. Test results are never logged to Templates.
  • Create a Test Plan, selecting the Test Case Templates you want to include in the Test Plan.
  • Once the Test Plan is created, executable Test Cases are created based on those selected templates.

It's really up to you on how many Test Case Templates you want to create. You could create one per story to make sure that you test that the story was implemented correctly, you could create multiple Test Case Templates if the story has a larger scope, etc.

For my purposes, I like to create one Test Case Template for each story before I begin work on each story. I know what I want the story's end result to be, so I create the Test Case Template with that in mind.

That said, it's up to you and your team/organization on how you want to structure your test management.

0 votes
Karthik Arvapalli May 2, 2019

If we want to create only TestCase we should create sub task in that type should be Test case right? In that case Story is holding this Test case under sub tasks section and Test progress section. Is it correct way?

Marcin Żurawiecki
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 6, 2019

Hello Karthik,

Test Case Templates give you the reusability for your tests, because you can create mutliple Test Cases (Test Case is an executable copy of a Test Case Template) across different Test Plans. However you don't need to use Test Case Templates at all. Simply create the Test Case as a sub-task under a Test Plan. When a Test Case is linked to a requirement (issue type set in the Test Management project configuration), it will be also displayed on this requirement's view in a panel, so that you can monitor all the Test Cases for this particular requirement.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards,
Marcin, TestFLO Team

Suggest an answer