Team Managed Jira Software Not Auto-scheduling

jai_pancholi February 26, 2024

I have created a plan, assigned Story Points and assigned Developers to issues. When I click 'auto-schedule', there are no changes made. Do I need to configure something else in each task? Do I need to assign a Sprint for each task?

My end goal is to be able to do this:

• specify a ranking for each task
  • specify a developer for each task
  • specify a fixed amount of hours or story points for each developer
  • be able to auto set start and end dates based on the above

I have a setup in Excel that can do this quite easily but it seems to be impossible to do in Jira. 

All of the resources online mention 'Advanced Roadmaps' but I can't see that anywhere in my Jira account.

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2024

Hello @jai_pancholi 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

"Advanced Roadmaps" is the original name for the functionality that is accessed by creating a Plan from the Plans menu. This is available automatically for a Premium subscription, if the Jira Administrators have allocated access to it to the users. 

Have you reviewed the information in this document?

How does the auto scheduler in advanced roadmaps work 

jai_pancholi February 27, 2024

Thank you @Trudy Claspill for the response. I've read that document and have a few questions / comments:

• Where is the Scope column?
  • Issues need estimates. I assigned a Estimated Story Points but the scheduler made no changes. I found out the problem was because in the Plan Settings, the 'Estimate Issue in Days' was selected. I changed the estimation method from Story Points to Original Estimate and it seems to schedule dates. This is not documented anywhere I've seen - is this correct?
  • I've noticed that the auto-scheduler has assigned the same assignee two issues on the same day - is there a way to tell Jira people can only work on one thing at a time?
  • I've noticed the start and end date are not based on Original Estimates - is this a bug or am I using it incorrectly?

Image below shoes Estimate of 2d but start date and due date is the same day

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 11.30.57.png

Image below shows the scheduler has assigned start dates of two different issues assigned to the same person on the same day, when in reality they need to be sequential. There is no dependency between them so I don't want to add a dependancy link,

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 11.30.50.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2024

Hello @jai_pancholi 

Disclaimer: I do not use Advanced Roadmaps Plans. I am just reviewing documentation and experimenting to try to find the answers to your questions.

Scope: I believe that is referring to the checkboxes that appear next to the issues. Check the boxes for the issues that you want the auto-scheduler to schedule.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 5.21.47 PM.png

Issues need estimates: I recommend that you look at the documentation that covers estimating in more detail:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/estimate-and-schedule-issues-in-advanced-roadmaps/

Assignee: I don't see anything in the documentation about the auto-scheduler taking into consideration the individual Assignee for an issue. All the documentation concerning capacity talks about Teams and Sprints, not individual assignees. I did see a statement under the Capacity section that says the auto-scheduler assumes a team member can work on only one item at a time, but it is not looking at specific Assignees. It is looking only at the number of Team members ad the Team capacity. So in the Auto-scheduler's logic, those issues are assumed to be worked on by different team members without the scheduler identifying the specific team members.

Task durations:

- Have you assigned a Team to your Plan?

- Have you set the capacity for your Team?

There is a correlation between the Original Estimates and the Team Capacity and the number of Team members.

I tested by creating 3 tasks each with a "2d" duration (with a work day being 8 hours, and 5 work days per week).

My Team has one member. I set the assigned Team's capacity to 40 hours a week. With only 1 team member being able to work only 8 hours a day, each task estimated for 16 hours/2 days would indeed take 2 calendar days to complete. The auto-scheduler set the start and end date of each task to span 2 days.

Then I set the assigned Team's capacity to 80 hours a week, while still having only one team member. The auto-scheduler set the start and end date of each task to 1 calendar day. With only one member in the Team, a weekly Team capacity means that single Team member could work 16 hours a day. Each task was estimated to require 16 hours of work. Therefore each task could be completed in a single calendar day.

jai_pancholi March 4, 2024

Thanks for the detailed response and testing!

I appreciate that it appears the scheduling feature takes into account Teams and it does that well, it's just frustrating that it doesn't take into account people assigned.

I've managed to solve this by creating a separate Team for each person in my team; this ensures that no single person is working on more than 1 planned task at a time.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2024

I was thinking that would be the only available work-around, but did not have an opportunity to test it out.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events