System plugins failed to start

double_di May 20, 2020

Running jira 8.3.3 on ubuntu 16.04

Having issues on startup on one of the jira restarts:

System plugins failed to start: We haven't been able to start all the required system plugins

We couldn't start the following plugins:

• Jira Projects Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Project Config Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-project-config-plugin)
  • Embedded Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded)
  • Gadget Directory Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.directory)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Gadgets Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.gadgets)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - Global Issue Navigator (com.atlassian.jira.jira-issue-nav-plugin)
  • Atlassian JIRA - Plugins - Quick Edit Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.jira-quick-edit-plugin)
  • Atlassian Jira - Plugins - REST Plugin (com.atlassian.jira.rest)
  • Opensocial Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial)
  • Gadget Dashboard Plugin (com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard)

To fix it tried:
1. everything from https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshoot-a-jira-server-startup-failed-error-394464512.html.

2. Upgraded jira from 8.3.3 to 8.8.1

3. again tried everything from https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshoot-a-jira-server-startup-failed-error-394464512.html

4. Installed a new jira with the same home dir as the old one (made a copy)

Nothing did work. 
Debug plugin logs have timeout errors and jira crashes

2 answers

0 votes
Piyush_Annadate December 24, 2021

To fix- 

1. Stop the JIRA instance
  2. Keep back up in case of JIRA_HOME/plugins/.bundled-plugins and JIRA_HOME/plugins/.osgi-plugins
  3. Delete JIRA_HOME/plugins/.bundled-plugins and JIRA_HOME/plugins/.osgi-plugins (just these two folders)
  4. Restart JIRA
0 votes
Ильмар Хабибулин August 4, 2020

Have you managed to make it work again? I have simular issue with 8.8.1, even upgraded code to 8.11 with no luck

double_di August 10, 2020

After tons of retries and cache cleaning, and server rebooting jira finally started up. I think my host didn't have enough resources, but don't know what specific. After that, i moved jira to a more CPU powerful server and didn't experience that problem ever again 

Ильмар Хабибулин August 12, 2020

Yes, i came to the same conclusion. Virtualisation experienced massive overload, so some machines ended up in freeze state. Moved Jira to hardware and now it works like a charm.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events