System Dashboard empty after Upgrade Jira 7.1.2 > 7.5.3

Jens Kisters __SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2017

Hey there,

i just upgraded Jira and the system dashboard is now empty:

dashboard_broken.PNGI see neither failed HTTP Requests during load nor Exceptions in the Jira log.
Only the JS error is suspicious.

When i go to system > system dashboard with the same user and browser the dashboard display fine there.

Shuffeling around some things on the board does not fix it either.

dashboard_working.PNG

What can i do?

Thanks in Advance!

Jens

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2017

There was a Javascript embedded in an HTML element on the dashboard that expected "$" to be a reference to Jquery.

In Jira 7.5.3 that does not be the case any more,

it could be fixed by replacing $ with AJS.$ in the JS code

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

Jens,

Thank you for confirming that you were able to resolve the issue.

Take care! 

Kind regards,

Shannon

0 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2017

Hi Jens,

Can you try the steps mentioned on here: Jira Dashboard is not visible after upgraded to 6.4.X

I know the version there is different but the steps listed can still help us resolve the issue:

Problem

JIRA Dashboard page (http://<base-url>/secure/Dashboard.jspa) is not showing any gadgets after upgraded JIRA to 6.4 or 6.4.3 version. Moreover, default system dashboard page (http://<base-url>/secure/admin/EditDefaultDashboard!) is not viewable.

Diagnosis

Diagnostic Steps

• Check if any Javascript errors happens in the web browsers console such as Chrome, Firefox or IE (supported version).
  • Enable safe mode.
  • Bypassing the proxy.
  • Check if any Firewall installed on the server.
  • Check JIRA dashboard data by running the sql query below:

select * from portalpage where USERNAME is null;

Cause

The problem happens when user had performed an upgrading process to JIRA 6.4 and configuring a checkpoint firewall with IPS module enabled. After successfully upgraded JIRA, it seems the IPS module was blocking the Dashboard page by showing this "JavaScript Unescape Synonym Obfuscation" rule.

Workaround

Add an exception to IPS and the page will be return back to normal.

Regards,

Shannon

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2017

When i run the SQL the system dashboard is returned as a row.

What does that mean?

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2017

And, as mentioned already: There are Javascript errors (see first screenshot)

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2017

In safe mode the dashboard shows again, im gonna enable addons one by one to see when it stops working

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 7, 2017

Okay i found a internal plugin that is now causing the errrors,

thanks for the pointer!

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2020

Thanks for your input, in my case the cause was something else (see accepted answer)

Suggest an answer