Swimlanes in Kanban board won't work with ticket from team-managed project

Anders Moberg June 7, 2022

I've got a Kanban board where I mix tickets from team-managed projects and company-managed projects. The Kanban board uses Swimlanes based on Epic tickets.

With the tickets from team-managed project, I'd imagine that they should also work according to the swimlane condition with Epics from the team-managed project, but no!

msedge_twM88klugm.png

This seems to be lacking this scenario implemented. Hopefully someone can correct me, or Atlassian staff / devs could look at implementing a solution for this scenario.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2022

Hi Anders,

Is the problem that the Team-managed Epics are not showing at all on the board? 

No, as I marked in my screenshot the Epic does show up for the project in mind, as does other tasks that is under that Epic. So the filter query should be setup correctly.

I'm just keen on having a swimlane appear by Epic (a.ka tickets in the TMP project show up in a swimlane associated with their Epic from a TMP project)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2022

Can you share the JQL you have for the Swimlane query?

I'm not using a Swimlane query, I'm using the "Epic" setting in the Swimlane configuration. Please excuse my native locale being active here

image.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2022

Ah, that might be it then. Team-managed projects do not use the Epic Link field - they use Parent. So the built-in functionality of using Swimlanes based on the Epic with a Jira Software board is probably not going to work. 

There is movement soon to replace the Epic Link functionality in Jira Software with the Parent concept, and it might begin working then - but that's a few months away. 

Gah, ok. It'd be nice to get an ETA on that, but I'll take it as an answer. Thanks for responding.

Like John Funk likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2022

Hi @Anders Moberg 

In regards to the switch to "parent" for such linking, please review/watch this thread for lots of details...and look for other posts in this Jira Software area:

https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/deprecation-of-the-epic-link-parent-link-and-other-related-fields-in-rest-apis-and-webhooks/54048

Kind regards,
Bill

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2022

Team-managed projects are not built to be shared outside the team.

Currently, they only support Epics that are in the same project, and trying to draw TMP issues into cross-project boards is, I'm afraid, doomed to failure.

I don't accept this framing. TMP and CMP in the same Kanban board has gotten better and better with time. I felt like I've been able to use them in the cross-project boards no problem. It is just this hiccup I've gotten recently. It appears as a bug to me.

If it's doomed to failure, Atlassian should limit cross-project boards even more.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events