Swimlane by Epic not showing up as an option for Kanban Board

Mike Thorn December 14, 2021

Hi,

I have a Kanban board on which I have a couple of Epics that have tasks assigned to them. I'd like to add swim lanes to the board based on the epics (with a final swim lane for anything not in an epic).

However, the board does not have the option to select Epics as a swim lane.

The query for the board is very simple:

project = "DA Management" ORDER BY Rank ASC

Can anyone shed any light on what I am doing wrong please?

Capture.PNG

This is the Epic that has three tasks

tempsnip.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2021

Hi Mike - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I think you will have to create a separate swimlane per Epic and your query would include the key for the Epic.  For example, key = DM-49

Mike Thorn December 14, 2021

Ho John - thanks for getting back to me. I'm not looking to have swimlanes based on queries, I want them based on Epics. However, the drop down for "Base Swimlanes on" does not include Epics as an option.

The documentation indicates you can have swimlanes based on epics.

My original post included the query the whole board is based on because similar help topics have been resolved by the board query excluding epics. My board is very simple, it queries only on the board.

Many thanks,

Mike

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2021

The documentation you reference appears to be for Cloud only and you are on Server. 

Mike Thorn December 15, 2021

Many thanks for raising that. This documentation here...

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver074/configuring-swimlanes-889531295.html

... looks to be for the server edition and indicates swim lanes can be done by Epic. This is the oldest version of the documentation I can find and every version of the documentation since says you can do it by Epics.

But I am not seeing the option to select swim lanes by Epic. So, I suspect this is because I either

• have insufficient privs. However, I find this unlikely: I can find no documentation that tells me the privs I need plus it would be a weird priv to allow me to create swim lanes based on other things but not Epics
  • there is some issue with my board preventing swim lanes by Epic being an option. Again, I can find no documentation

Has anyone managed to set up swim lanes on a Kanban board on the server edition based on Epics please?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2021

It appears to me that the documentation is wrong. It has Epics in the table, but then in the detailed instructions, it omits Epics as an option you can choose:

screenshot.png

As you can see, step 3 does not include Epics. 

You should probably raise a support ticket for that, if nothing else so they can fix it. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Mike Thorn December 16, 2021

Ah, okay - many thanks, I will contact support

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer