Subtasks / Epics / OnDeman

I've been avoiding this, because I don't think I'm going to like the answer, but here we go. I'm going to not use the typical terminology here because I don't want to mislead anybody by using an incorrect term.

Like the rest of the world, we have things to do - an activity - and then have numerous components of those activities - functions. An activity - or a function - can span numerous weeks / iterations / sprints as things go back and forth with a client, thru various QA and user acceptance testing.

Let's say I need to upgrade 25 seperate clients, each on their own hosted system. I want a master activity, and 25 subordinate activities. I have a filter which lets me see the master activity and the 25 subordinate activities.

Now, I understand that subordinate tasks cannot not be independently included in a sprint (although they certainly are in the real world.) Atlassian's approach of using an Epic issue type is fine - but the linkage to individual issues seems very loose to me; it would be much better to use the issue/subtask paradigm, but I can't seem to figure out if I'm not doing it right - or it doesn't work that way. The concept of having subtasks of an Epic - which I seem to be able to do - is inherently contradictory.

What am I doing incorrectly - or is this an Atlassian "do it my way" kind of thing, using the shield of "that's the way agile is done?" I feel like I run into that barricade numerous times per year, and then we work around the limitations of the product. (don't get me started on "well, you can vote for [feature].")

1 answer

Forgot to add: we use templates extensively here to streamline operations. So I'll have an activity we do 50 times a year - an issue with subtasks. If I clone that issue, I'm good to go - because all the subtasks clone. If I clone an epic issue with Epic links - I get to, manually, relink everything, which does wonders for my efficiency. But if I keep them as subtasks...I can't put them in a sprint.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,241 views 10 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you