Subtask based on parent issue type error

Andrea Robbins August 16, 2022

Super weird. This is my first time seeing this, but when I try to create a developer task (which is a subtask type), it is saying it has to be a subtask of a user story not a general parent task. Where can I change this setting? I had no idea it existed. In the Issue Type scheme it just says it's a sub-task type of issue but no restrictions on what the parent issue has to be. 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

This is not actually the issue-sub-task relationship.  If you can get to the "create sub-task" screen, it's already got that.

The error you are getting is because someone has added "user story" as a field on the "developer task" type and made it mandatory.

Short answer is you should remove the field or make it optional for the sub-tasks, but I would really want to question why it was added, as the user-story for a sub-task is always going to be the parent issue that it is part of.  It's a totally redundant field!

exactly my thoughts I think it was made required by accident not realizing it would affect all issue types

0 votes
Answer accepted

here's a pic of the error

userstoryrequired.jpg

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Hello @Andrea Robbins 

Is this a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

The way the error is presented suggests that "User Story" is a field that is required to be filled in rather than an error associated with connecting the sub-task to its parent issue. Can you take a look at the workflow for the sub-task issue type to see if there is a Validator on the Create transition? Also look at the Field Configuration to see if there is a "User Story" field that is required.

spot on, thank you! Someone had recently changed the user story field to be required in the field config. I changed it back to optional. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events