Subcomponent in JIRA Cloud

Wendy Cotter November 29, 2017

Hi Creative Community!

Looking for some ideas on how to implement subcomponents without a plugin.  We are in JIRA Cloud and the only add-on that is available has terrible reviews and hasn't been updated since 2016....so, I am hoping that y'all might have some suggested workarounds!

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2017

It depends on your requirements but I would offer the following for consideration.

Rather than using the Component field create a custom Select List (cascading) field.

My backup idea is to create a custom select list called SUBCOMPONENT where the options are following the nomenclature <COMPONENT NAME> - <SUBCOMPONENT NAME> so you can type ahead for options.  

Was hoping for a cool way to inject some intelligence into the field to show specific options based on the component field...but don't think that's an option . :(  

Thanks Jack!!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2017

but with the Select List (cascading) there is some intelligence. Example below:

First Field: CompA, CompB, CompC

Second Field values will be dependent upon First field...

if CompA: SubCompA1, SubCompA2, ...

if CompB: SubCompB1, SubCompB2, ...

if CompC: SubCompC1, SubCompC2, ...

Ha!  I've never used that option before!!  Thanks Jack, that might be it!  

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2017

glad to help. if it works for you please accept the answer as it will help other who search for similar.

HA...you already did. :-)

Suggest an answer