SubTasks showing as "Issues without Epics" on Kanban Board...any way around this?

Lisa Schnettler June 20, 2018

I like using epics as swimlanes for my Kanban board. BUT subtasks always show up as "Issues without Epics" even when their Main Task IS assigned to an Epic. Any way around that?

You can't assign an epic directly to a subtask. And I know I could convert them to full tasks, but many really are not full-fledged tasks but rather pieces.

But with them not showing in the right swimlane, they're easy to lose sight of.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 answers

1 vote
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2020

I might have found the issue.

If you use Epics as swimlanes on a kanban board and all issuestypes, like; Story, Task, etc.., are linked to a parent.

All seems fine even using quick filters and/or a specific user (myself).

The problem starts when sub-tasks are assigned to other people than the assignee of the parent task.

Then you get the strange result that those sub-tasks end up showing under "Issues without Epics"

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2020

I second this

I might have found the issue.

If you use Epics as swimlanes on a kanban board and all issuestypes, like; Story, Task, etc.., are linked to a parent.

All seems fine even using quick filters and/or a specific user (myself).

The problem starts when sub-tasks are assigned to other people than the assignee of the parent task.

Then you get the strange result that those sub-tasks end up showing under "Issues without Epics"

Like Marc Koppelaar likes this
George Brindeiro September 11, 2020

Make sure you flag this affects you in this issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16752

Like Marc Koppelaar likes this
0 votes
Shweta Singh April 26, 2022

Found the reason. If the Parent (Epic or Story) of the Sub-task is carrying a different status than the Sub-task, it flies to 'Issues Without Epic'.

Example - Sub-task is In Progress but Story is To Do. It doesn't recognize the Story > Epic connection and abandons itself.

Jennifer McKillop June 14, 2023

Thanks for sharing. This was the issue for me. I had to change the Task to be 'In Progress' to match the Sub-task being 'In Progress' and they all went back into their relevant Epic swimlanes.

Jennifer McKillop June 14, 2023

Just to add to this, I subsequently discovered it actually happened because someone else using my board came in and turned on the Backlog feature.

This meant all of the issues that had a 'To Do' status were moved to the Backlog and thus, were no longer on the Kanban board (which ended up with only 'In Progress', 'Blocked' and 'Done' columns).

I've turned the 'To Do' column back on, which contains issues with the 'To Do' status, and that fixed the one issue that I couldn't fix using the above method.

I've since applied a different permission scheme to the project, where the 'Administer Projects' permission is now only the Project lead (me).   

0 votes
Sandra Goffin April 11, 2022

Hi everyone,

I found a workaround to this one that worked for me, using the "Link" functionality:

- In the sub-task ticket, go to "More" > "Link"

- in the pop-up: select the TASK name/link it is already linked to (not the Epic one)

and this should move your ticket to the corresponding Epic swimlane (where your Task also finds itself)

Hope it works for you too :)

0 votes
jndeverteuil
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

Hmmmm...

On my JIRA without much modification/plugins, it does show the Sub-tasks under the right Epic swimlane. Sub-tasks always take the Epic of it's Parent task (if there's an existing Epic-Link on the parent).

Lisa Schnettler June 21, 2018

That's what I would have assumed. is there a setting at the project level that controls that "inheritance"?

jndeverteuil
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 21, 2018

I'm not quite sure, but I've found this open bug in the Atlassian backlog :

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-10683

Could that be your problem?

Lisa Schnettler June 21, 2018

Hmmm...I don't recall filtering out or hiding parent issues, but I will certainly double-check.  Thanks!

Joelle_Tegwen December 24, 2019

I know this is old but I found this issue and it helped me understand what was happening. 

When I filter the board for "Only my issues" the Stories/Tasks assigned to other people disappear so my SubTasks show up as "Issues without Epics". 

Like # people like this
George Brindeiro September 9, 2020

This is the JSWSERVER issue for this behavior:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-11823

I just contacted Jira support to open a related issue for JSWCLOUD

George Brindeiro September 11, 2020

This is the JSWCLOUD issue for this behavior:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-16752

Suggest an answer