Sub-tasks issue type asking for Story points( Kanban). How can I disable that?

Leena Bakshi May 1, 2017

We have Jira 6.4.12 and going to upgrade this year. I am very new to Jira.

However for now suddenly I am getting lot of tickets where users are complaining that when they try to close a sub task, they have to enter Story points ( which should not be required in the first place for sub tasks) I am trying to figure out how to stop that from happening. Any guidance is highly appreciated.

Thanks 

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 1, 2017

Leena, it sounds like the Story Points field somehow got associated with subtasks. Please see the table at Custom fields.

"By default, the Story Points field is only available to issues of type 'Story' or 'Epic' (not 'Bugs' etc) — you can change this by:
Associating the Story Points field with other issue types (see the JIRA custom field context documentation).
Specifying which screens the Story Points field will be displayed on (see the JIRA documentation on Defining a Screen)."

It seems like if you remove the association the prompts to enter Story Points will stop.

Leena Bakshi May 1, 2017

Thanks a lot for prompt reply. I did think that too.

Infact I see that sub task has been associated with Story point custom field ( Default Configuration Scheme for Story Point) along with other issue type. 

I tried to look for any documentation which I can send across to businesses that made the request for story points for sub task, to explain that this should not be the procedure. Would you have any link that I can refer to.

Thanks 

Suggest an answer