Sub-task estimates do not roll-up to Story estimate

Michael Manzo June 11, 2013
I'm finding a feature in Greenhopper to NOT operate as I would have expected. The feature is in estimating where the estimation on the scrum board is configured for original time estimates. What I would like is: 1) when no sub-tasks are created for a story, the estimation and remaining fields are editable within the story 2) when sub-tasks have been created, the story estimate and remaining fields are calculated as the sum of the estimate and remaining fields for the sub-tasks What's currently happening is that the story estimate field is not calculated from the sum of the sub-tasks but the story remaining field is. Worse, if you enter a value in the story estimate field when sub-tasks have been added and estimated, the value entered into the story estimate field is added to the story remaining field, which already has the sum of the sub-tasks. Thus, if, as a work around, you try to manually enter a story estimate that equals the sum of the sub-task estimates, the story remaining field value doubles. There's no work around for this. This feature seems poorly defined. I understand what the product team was trying to accomplish... the ability to estimate and view remaining values for stories that have no sub-tasks or prior to sub-tasks being added. What they missed is that the field could serve both functions - manual entry when no sub-tasks exist and calculated value when sub-tasks do exist. I strongly urge the product team to consider this feature at their earliest opportunity as the inability to see from the scrum board the original estimate against the remaining value in plan and work mode is a problem.

1 answer

0 votes
Mario Casas March 10, 2015

any answers on this?

Any ETA or work around this issue?

The suggested solution described above by Michael seems logical and it would work for the way our team works.

Suggest an answer