Stories with no Sub Tasks lose Rank

rishida August 7, 2013

Hi, I'm currently using the "Base Swimlanes on Stories" option, but this places all User Stories with no Sub-Tasks at the bottom of the board.

I've tried using JQL to create a filter that would allow filtering by Stories while still keeping Stories without Sub-Tasks in the proper order, but haven't been able to come up with anything that works.

Does anyone have an alternate solution for this?

Thanks!

5 answers

1 vote
Andrea_Guardascione February 5, 2020

I guess 6 years later we still have the same error

0 votes
Dave Todaro September 27, 2013

I'm also frustrated by this because the team has to refer back to the product backlog to figure out what the correct priority order is.

To keep things simple, we only add sub-tasks to bugs and stories when needed (for example, if the team feels they can get a bug through In Process and Ready for Test in 4 hours, we wouldn't create sub-tasks in that case.)

Here's what we want the task board to look like, where the bugs and stories keep their priority order:

Bug

Bug

Sub-task

Sub-task

Story

Story

Sub-task

Sub-task

Story

Sub-task

Sub-task

Sub-task

Sub-task

Story

Is there any way we can do this? We want the best of both worlds...we want sub-tasks to continue to be grouped by bug/story, but we want to keep the priority order from the product backlog.

Thanks!

Dave Todaro September 27, 2013

Shoot - my indentation was stripped out. Pretend "sub-tasks" are indented under the bugs and stories, denoting that they're grouped.

0 votes
rishida August 18, 2013

Hi, has anyone come up with a JQL solution to this issue, or something similar?

0 votes
Tom Haraldsen August 12, 2013

Also covered here.

rishida August 12, 2013

Thanks Tom. I actually looked at that before posting, but I've tried a JQL filter, and I haven't been able to come up with anything that works. I'm hoping that someone has come across an alternative that I would be able to use.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2013

but this places all User Stories with no Sub-Tasks at the bottom of the board

They are not at the bottom per-se. It just displays the sub-task with the stories. Ranking is not lost if i'm not mistaken

rishida August 12, 2013

Thanks Timothy. Do you know if there is a way to prevent the Stories with Sub-Tasks from being at the bottom?

Suggest an answer