Stories in showing in active sprint that are not in the active sprint

Melissa Ritts February 26, 2024

Jira set up, we have Project A, Project B and Project C. Project C has stories that can be picked up by with Project A or Project B teams. Each team has their own sprint board.

On Project A's active sprint board, we are seeing issues from Project C but they are assigned to Project B's sprint. 

Project A Filter = project in (projecta, projectc)

Project B Filter = project in (projectb, projectc)

Project A sprint name = date-project A

Project B sprint name = date-project B

Issues in Project C that are in the active sprint date-project A are showing up in the active sprint board for date-project B.

I did not expect to see issues from another active sprint presented on my active sprint board. Is this an expected behavior of Cloud? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2024

Hi @Melissa Ritts,

Yes, this is expected behaviour.  It is caused by the different boards displaying the same issues, as the board filters are overlapping.

While you create a sprint on a specific board, sprints are accessible throughout your entire Jira instance. And so you can - without any problem - assign a sprint from any board to any issue. You will see the sprint assigned to an issue in the sprints custom field on an issue (if you made the field visible). On a scrum board, all sprints assigned to any issues included in the board filter will be shown on the board.

While I understand this may seem confusing, there is something wrong in your architecture here. A scrum board should be set up with a single team in mind that plans and develops unique issues. If you can avoid the same issue popping up on multiple boards, the chance of this happening should be drastically smaller.

Hope this helps!

Melissa Ritts February 27, 2024

Thank you. Not a fan of the "All Sprints" view. I would prefer to only see my active sprint on my sprint board.

Suggest an answer