Stories in alternate "Done" categories are not properly removed from sprints

Rich Moll July 15, 2020

One of the options for closure in our Jira is a "Won't Fix". 

Category.png

Some of our stories have been moved to this category, but still show up in sprint searches.

SprintAssignment.pngAs you can see, these issues were last modified over 2 years ago, yet somehow they still are present in my sprint searches. They do not appear in my "Active Sprint" swimlanes. This feels like a bug; how do I fix this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2020

Note the "resolution" field says "unresolved" here. 

That's why your issues are coming out in searches - plain Jira believes them to be open.  This happens when you have a workflow that fails to ask for a (or set to a fixed) resolution as you move the issue into an end state ("won't fix" in your case).

First, I would go over your current workflows and check that they all ask for or set a resolution as issues get to the end of their lifecycle. 

Then I'd look to fix the old ones.  Probably the best option is to temporarily add the resolution field to the edit screen for those issues/projects, bulk edit it to set it, and then remove the field again.  (Do not leave it on the edit screen - if you do, every edit of an issue will effectively close it).  You'll want to do that while no-one is likely to be using the affected projects.

Rich Moll July 15, 2020

I set a Post action for those transitions to set a resolution (I assume "Won't Do" counts as Done?). We'll see if that fixes our problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2020

Yes, any text value in resolution (even "unresolved") counts as done.  The field in the database is null when an issue is unresolved.

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

Hi @Rich Moll 

I believe the issue is that these are not marked as Resolved.  In this case, they should be resolved and your status (disposition) is "won't fix".  

On your board settings for the columns, find the status "Won't Fix" and check the box to Set Resolution.

Best regards,

Bill

Rich Moll July 15, 2020

I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place. Thoughts?

gP7JJAw

Rich Moll July 15, 2020

I stumbled into this page, is this the fix I'm looking for? I didn't see a checkbox, but it originally wasn't in the category.

lr9Eg9z

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

When on the board or backlog view, go to Board Settings under the ... at the right of the page.  Then select Columns.

Examine the status values mapped to the right-most column on the board.  There should be a checkbox for Set Resolution that you can select for this status.

If you do not see that checkbox, you are not using the simplified workflow, so take a look at Nic's notes for more information and steps.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events