Store 4000 records of data as single drop down/ Cascading field in a project

MzM February 3, 2021

Hello Team,

We've a business requirement, where in client wants to add 4000 records of data as single drop down or jira cascading select levels field in a project.

For sure Jira is not a repository system or a place to store & add those many values (4000 records).  I need an expert advice, suggestion.

Question - What is the best way to do this?

1. Is it advisable to add those many values in screen, Jira supports storing this much data in a lookup?
  2. Would there be performance and maintenance problems

Regards,

Mouzam

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

1. No, absolutely not advisable.  Jira can handle it, but your users are going to find it a spectacular pain, given the unreadable wall of text (also making it slow for them)

2. Performance, only on the client side - it'll be slow for people trying to create or edit, and slow for people trying to maintain the list. 

I would be questioning the desire for this, there is almost certaintly a better way to handle it.  Rather than have your client dictate the technical way to do it to you, question the data.  What are these 4,000 entries and why are they trying to use them like this?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

....hang on i'm still scrolling.... i'm at 3993...wait i clicked away....noooooo....

;-)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer