Stop user to add issue in kanban board column if it exist max value

Ravi Kumar July 16, 2017

We are tring to understand the behaviour of KANBAN board of JIRA.
We have one use case to restrict addition of issue in kanban column if it exists the max value means if the max number of issue allowd in kanban board cloumn is 2 than user will not be able to add the issue more than 2.
Currently user is able to add the issue more than allowed max value.
Now color of cloumn is changing based on max and min value but we want to restrict the addition of issue.
Is there any to to restrict it from workflow transition.

Kanban_board.JPG

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

@Ravi Kumar, I have moved this question out of SPAM and will investigate the cause. It appears your posts are indeed going to spam.

Regarding your question, it has been awhile since I have used constraints on Kanban and doing a quick read of the documentation tells me that these are 'soft' constraints. That is, they do not prevent but rather only alert. So it requires manual intervention. I do not know of anyway to prevent.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

deleted erronous reply

Ravi Kumar July 17, 2017

Thanks for reply.  so you mean to say there is no way we can restrict this. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2017

correct. there may be some plugin or you could do by writing some code around this feature. However, I suggest that if you are using a board you should have an owner and their job is to monitor. In most use cases you don't want to prevent work from progressing but you want to be aware of potential overloading.

Ravi Kumar July 17, 2017

Thanks Jack. I tried searching for plugin but I cound't find any.

I searched for some api also to get these details and restrict it but unable to get the min and max value of cloumn in kanban board.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 18, 2017

Ravi,

if the restriction is a hard restriction you may wish to consider limiting who can transition issues into the In Review (or whatever) status. Short of that train the team to transition via board only and if it goes red transition back.

Regardless, if you come up with a better solution post and here and select as the solution.

0 votes
Anton Melentiev November 6, 2019

Still no way to do it? Even in 2019 we can't limit number of issues in the column?

0 votes
Travis Christianson March 1, 2018

Were you able to find a solution? My organization is looking to do the same thing.

Ravi Kumar March 2, 2018

No Travis. I thought of using some rest apis but could't find any apis to do that.

Suggest an answer