Steps to configure Jira software and Jira service desk

s a November 30, 2017

Hi community.

I have an install of Jira software and use this to log bugs. 

Customers of the product have now started to ask for support and I would like to setup Service Desk for this task.

What steps would I take to 'connect' Service Desk to Software and the existing project sitting inside Software? Or will I need a separate project inside Service Desk?

Server version 7.5

Thanks S

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2017

Hey S,

You need to setup a separate JIRA Service Desk project where customers can raise support tickets. These are handled by Service Desk Agents that count towards your license.

When a ticket if confirmed as a bug, you can collaborate with a Developer (JIRA Software User) on the ticket internally, and they can create a Bug in their JIRA project and link it to the Service Desk ticket. The customer is notified that the bug will be addressed in an upcoming release and the support ticket is closed/resolved. 

Refer to the blog post at https://www.atlassian.com/blog/archives/collaborate-developers-using-jira-service-desk

Hope that helps.

Bhushan

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

Just an opinion here FWIW. I prefer to leave the original customer JSD issue open until the bug is resolved and associated release is available. In this way the customer is notified when they are able to test and accept/decline the resolution. You can use JSD automation to to resolve the JSD issue when the JSW issue is resolved. 

s a December 3, 2017

Many thanks for this, I guess I was trying to keep one project going between the two systems but understand how this could work now. Great tip also on the automation!

Pradyumna Mohanty August 21, 2020

Can somone guide how it works on the Next-Gen service desk. I don't see the collaborator option under People 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2020

Collaborator is just a term. You can define a group called Collaborator and give them certain permissions. However, you are talking NG here on an old thread. Maybe a new question is warranted? 

Like Bhushan Nagaraj likes this

Suggest an answer