Sprints without issues are not visible in the second scrum board

Gregory Demotchkine January 5, 2014

I have the following problem. I have two scrumboards that use the same filter.

in scrumboard A I create several future sprints without any issues in them.

in scrumboard B these new sprints without issues are not visible

if I return to scrumboard A and put at leas one issues in the future sprint, it then becomes visible in scrumboard B.

Took me some time to figure this out and this is highly impractical. we create sprints for the entire year without putting any issues in them yet. I already had people creating duplicate sprints, because they don't see my sprints on their board.

Help!

(P.S. Putting a dummy "placeholder" issue in each sprint, is a bit silly!)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2014

Hi Gregory,

This is how JIRA Agile has been designed. Why do you create the sprints on a seperate scrum board? Why can't your teams create them themselves?

Can't they use the Scrumboard A for their planning (maybe using filters so they only see their own issues) and Scrumboard B for monitoring their current sprint?

Why do you create Sprints a year in advance?

Best regards,

Peter

Gregory Demotchkine January 5, 2014

Thanks for your response. So as I understand your initial conception there's some sort of board ownership for future/empty sprints. To take your reasoning further, if different teams can use different boards all related to the same filer/projects, who's to say that the sprints must be shared at all between boards (I was positively suprised and relieved that it's the case, but in other useage scenarios especially in bigger teams/projects it would be wrong to alwaus share sprints between boards, there should be an option like: Private Sprint/Shared Sprint)

To answer your question:

In fact we are using sprints for iteration planning or roadmap...

So as we usually have a 12-18 months planning visibility we create 1 sprint (iteration) per month and assign issues well in advance.

in our case Sprints are shared by everyone, but we use different boards in order to use different swimlanes in the work mode. I tend to use swimlanes by iteration (since we run multiple sprints) while my colleague tends to use the board with swimlanes by iteration/ developer. As both of us switch often between plan mode/work mode, we really should have the same empty futre sprints, to avoid creating duplicate sprints....

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2014

Hi Gregory,

I can see why this would be a good feature for the way you work.

You could give team leaders (like yourself and your colleague) access rights to Scrumboard A and your team members only to the respective scrum boards (you can do this by creating a filter for each board (this might be identical filters) and share those filters with the correct teams).

In this way your Team Leaders will know about the future sprints and can use Scrumboard A for planning the future sprints while using their own team scrumboard for the day to day workings.

Otherwise I would suggest your create a new feature request here :

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS

Best regards,

Peter

Sowndarya September 29, 2020

Hi,

We are encountering same scenario,

Is there any feature request raised for this?

Thnx.

Suggest an answer