Sprint report does not match velocity chart - BUG?

If I go to the velocity chart for a completed sprint, GH shows that the committed is say 13, completed is say 11

But when I go to the sprint report it shows me that the completed stories story points = 6 even though some of them are closed won't fix and hence shouldn't be counted.

so I have 2 questions:

1) why does the completed story point count != the velocity chart? It appears that the velocity chart is counting story points for tickets that were removed from the sprint (they're in the removed from sprint section ) and completed in the following sprint

2) it is counting the state of Closed Won't Fix. We shouldn't be counting these as they essentially ended up being no work. How do I tell GH not to count Closed?

5 answers

What I've found:

1. You're workflow states need to be mapped correctly. Go to your Sprint Board > Tools > Configure > Columns. Look at the mapping of states to colums. I suspect, "Closed Won't Fix" is mapped to "Done"? This means that state will be counted in velocity. Move it to a different column if its not "done".

2. Releated to the above, in general this mapping needs to be correct for velocity to be calculated correctly. If you change your workflow, you even need to map old states!

3. I have also found that if points or stories are added to a sprint after its started they are not counted. I'm not sure if this is all the time, but as I have done my own variance analysis this has been a reason why. I don't know of a fix for this other than not doing that.

See this post: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/104087/velocity-chart-not-showing-completed-points?page=1

  • Ok, which is correctly showing? Is it Spring Report or Velocity report?
  • Can you post screenshots?
  • Am not sure where Sprint report shows a total of completed story points. It just shows what is remaining, right?
  • It should not show those items which are not completed. If yes, it has to be checked. Screenshots with the actual data will help.

So I've attached the velocity chart showing commited vs completed and the sprint report showing the number of issues completed.

You can see that Sprint report shows completed as 1 story point.

But the velocity chart shows comleted as 6. If you look at issues removed from the sprint, there are 5 completed (+1 the one from the completed issues = 6)

However those 5 are part of another sprint - clearly on the sprint report and even more clearly when you open the issue. They are shown as being in the following sprint on the issue itself.

So the velocity chart is not counting the completed correctly.

We've got the same question - the commitment and completed in the velocity chart bears no resemblence to the figures in the sprint or burndown reports.

The velocity chart says the commitment was 39.5, whereas the burndown chart says that we started the sprint with 31.5 (and subsequently added 6.5 points). See below.

Can anyone explain how the figures in the velocity chart are being (mis)calculated?

Velocity considers only the initial commitment figures. Are the values matching the initial commitment?

No - the initial commitment (correctly) shows in the sprint/burndown report as 31.5. The velocity chart shows 39.5.

Not sure from where this value of 39.5 comes. Even if we add the newly added ones to the sprint, it comes to 38 (31.5 + 2 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 3 + 1). May be it needs deeper analysis based on the actual data. Atlassian support can help if you can upload them your backup.

Btw, just a long shot - did you attempt reindexing?

What I've found:

1. You're workflow states need to be mapped correctly. Go to your Sprint Board > Tools > Configure > Columns. Look at the mapping of states to colums. I suspect, "Closed Won't Fix" is mapped to "Done"? This means that state will be counted in velocity. Move it to a different column if its not "done".

2. Releated to the above, in general this mapping needs to be correct for velocity to be calculated correctly. If you change your workflow, you even need to map old states!

3. I have also found that if points or stories are added to a sprint after its started they are not counted. I'm not sure if this is all the time, but as I have done my own variance analysis this has been a reason why. I don't know of a fix for this other than not doing that.

Thanks for the suggestion - yes I've reindexed.

I'll pass this over to Atlassian support.

Mark.

I've just found this discussion

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/214495/sprint-report-shows-issues-not-completed-incorrectly?utm_source=SAC&utm_medium=provide_details

It seems there is a bug (or rather two) that arises from having set up a sprint in advance (which this team did). This has been fixed now, so I need to get our add-on upgraded.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9790

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9797

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

4,706 views 20 14
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you