Sprint day remaining gadget reports incorrect days

Paul Tam December 6, 2013

The day remaining gadget always shows 1 day less. Also during some time in the day (I think around noon'ish or so) it will deduct one more day (as if I was in a different timezone). I checked my timezone and it is correctly reflecting my timezone.

12 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2013

The gadget calculates days left in 24 hour increments, so e.g. if there's 47 hours left until the end of the Sprint, it'll show 1 day left (although intuitively you may assume it's 2 days). The result of the calculation will change at the hour of the planned Sprint end time as well, as that's when an increment ends - in this case, it'll be around noon.

Paul Tam December 13, 2013

Thanks for explaining. Now I know how those days are calculated. However I can't agree this is a user friendly approach. Is there any plan to enhance this behavior so it would be more sensible?

Roman Collins July 12, 2016

It would be nice to allow us to configure that.

exadannyd August 10, 2016

Totally agree with Paul and Roman. Bottom line, it always shows wrong data (less 1 day). It must be fixed.

More over, when starting a sprint, you define start and end time. It fails to calculate days in sprint as well. For example, I defined the start time as 08Aug2016 00:00 AM and end time as 18Aug16 23:59 PM. It should have calculated it as 9 days; actually it was 8..

asmarkis October 7, 2016

I am seeing the same thing. For example, if there are 3 full days and some of the current day left in a sprint, it will show as 2 days remaining. It is rounding the days left down AND subtracting one, meaning that the last full day you have AND any additional time leading up to the sprint end are both 0 days remaining.

Doesn't make much sense, but that is apparently how they think it should work unless it can be configured.

Greg Mester October 27, 2016

Yeah it is pretty sad that they can't get a clock to work correctly

Like Jeff Pellegrin likes this
Mark Luders September 29, 2017

Any news on this topic Atlassian? The Days Remaining on my dashboard just jumped from 6 to 4 as today, a Friday, came to a close.  Only nonworking days are Sat/Sun  My active sprint ends next week Friday 5:00PM so still have 5 full working days.  Users should not come in to work on Monday morning, expecting to see 5 days remaining to work and be confronted with "4" displayed by this gadget.  Help!

Andre Domingues Vieira October 5, 2017

Any news about this?

Deleted user December 7, 2017

@[deleted] team

(I am trying to use this on my wallboard)

Please do update this as the whole gadget seems useless and doesn't convey the meaning it is supposed to especially when it is meant to be put on a wallboard

Johan Wennberg January 12, 2018

Can't you add an option in the gadget to select between rounding up or down (ceil/floor).

As it is now, everyone questions why it is displaying the wrong number, so the entire gadget becomes unusable.

Savio Thomas June 7, 2019

The simplest solution is to have the gadget display days and hours left in the sprint. Correlating to the example stated in the thread - 1 day and 23 hrs. That should keep it simple to understand.

Like # people like this
James Spielvogel August 27, 2019

Does this thing still exist? If not, we need it. We're using a small white board by our door for this purpose, haha. Days remaining should either be Days AND Hours (as Savio suggested), or it should exhibit the "one day less" behavior that everyone is complaining about.  If you're on the last hour of the last day of the sprint, you wouldn't want that to say "1 Day remaining"; that's not user friendly, because it gives no sense of urgency. Having two minutes left in the sprint should not say "1 (full) Day remaining".  It should say "Zero (full) days) remaining" as you've described it to work.

4 votes
Carlton McFarlane December 27, 2018

I agree with the comments above - pretty shocking that this is still not fixed in Jira.

Also happens in the confirmation screen before a sprint is launched. Set sprint start and end to be 9:00 Monday to 17:00 Friday and it says 4 days! 

Pretty lame that this bug still exists (in the Cloud version, at least)...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2018

@Carlton McFarlane, you mention "bug still exists". Are you aware of a bug being reported/tracked on this? I don't immediately see one and it has been my understanding that it is working as designed. Granted one could argue that the design could and maybe even should be changed.

Carlton McFarlane December 28, 2018

Thank you for your response, @Jack Brickey.

Re: bug vs. feature - the issue I describe above could only philosophically be described as a "feature" rather than a "bug". See, in addition, the reports of @asmarkis and @Mark Luders above. It's improbable that someone proactively designed a full week to be shown as four days at or before the start of the week.

Re: existing issue report - I have no idea. I reached this thread via a fruitless Google search to try and find the settings where I fix this display issue or implement a workaround. It seems that working days are customisable but not working hours (except in Portfolio for Jira). Not acceptable that one should have to use a paid add-on to fix what appears to be a simple clock issue. 

Happy to log an issue somewhere, although I'd have thought someone in the Atlassian team might have done that given this thread has been open for five years.

Where should I look/log?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2018

You can either go to Atlassian Support or better to JAC. The later will allow you to dive in and search for possible existing tickets using JQL.

Personally, I would find it to be a better (?) solution to report hours remaining and drop partial hours rather than days remaining. It would use a standard 8h day unless configured otherwise.

3 votes
Kara Kogelman February 12, 2018

Agreed that this gadget is not very helpful. 

3 votes
Cristianne Bastos January 16, 2018

This is very annoying and makes the gadget useless :/

2 votes
Abhishek Sharma July 6, 2018

Amazing 5 years now this has been reported. A simple clock to fix and Atlassian seems to be least bothered ... huh ... !!

2 votes
Regis_Zanandrea April 23, 2018

Hello, 

I have the same error like @andrers2b, the remaining days is wrong, should be 21 days and not 14 days.

Can anyone fix this?

Captura de Tela 2018-04-23 às 2.18.51 PM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2018

@Regis_Zanandrea, IMO this is different than @andrers2b. In Andre's case it is working as designed. it counts "full days" not partial days. In your case the number is well off. Please open a new questions w/ all of your details posted. This is a rather old thread.

Regis_Zanandrea April 23, 2018
2 votes
andrers2b March 21, 2018

This is happening since 2013. 

And still happening right now. See attachment:

Current day: Thursday.
End of Sprint: Monday.
Days left in the Sprint should be 3 (Thursday, Friday and Monday. Instead, shows only 2 days left). 

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 11.11.28 AM.png

1 vote
Ben Thomas February 3, 2020

We just started using sprints in my team and every single person was confused by the Days Remaining figure. 0 days remaining should mean the sprint has finished.

1 vote
roybrouwer July 26, 2018

We run into the same problem. Number of days remaining is 1 day less then the actual days remaining. In the Sprint Health gadget this is just annoying, but the Days Remaining gadget becomes useless because of this.

0 votes
Jeff Pellegrin February 10, 2023

@Jack Brickey  come on man.... The main usage of this gadget it to show the dev days / workdays left in the sprint. If its decimal base how hard to extend the view to see the decimals or have the toggle to round up.... 

This isnt rocket science and one most used gadgets that everyone has to remind their managers its off by one day.  "Why?" Cause you know its Atlassin. JIRA is better than this, lets be better. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 10, 2023

Hi Jeff,

I can't say how hard it is to change it personally. I guess it would depend on the requirements/solution. Should it be configurable and if so would it be a system config or per project. In any event this feedback is something that should be shared with Atlassian (feedback, JAC, Support).

0 votes
Abhishek Sharma September 14, 2018

My work around - I select end date as day 1 of next sprint

0 votes
Andrew Young September 13, 2018

Is there a work around for this issue?

Suggest an answer