Sprint Reports: commitment versus completed.

Rachel April 9, 2018

Hi,

I am pulling together some information to highlight in my team's showcase tomorrow from JIRA reports. There are two columns, commitment and completed. Does "commitment" refer to what we initially set out to do, or what is remaining? Because it looks like there are 0 points committed to the previous sprint, which is odd, given that we completed 75.Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 2.56.51 PM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Amirul Ikhwan Omar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2018

Hi,

Commitment here means that total number of estimate for all issues in the sprint when it begins. If any changes in the sprint after the sprint start for example any story point added will not be included in the commitment.

As for Completed, it is shown how many completed estimates when the sprint ends. If there is any scope changes during the sprint will be added to this total.

Chris Barnett March 12, 2019

I know this information was posted nearly a year ago, so I wonder if something has changed. I'm trying to use the commitment vs completed information from the JIRA velocity chart to help track our team's say/do ratio. Based on what I'm seeing, the commitment changes over time as the team adopts additional stories. Is that the intended behavior? I was under the impression that the commitment was the total story point count for all stories in the sprint at the time the sprint started, and would not change as additional stories are pulled in.

Like # people like this
kateu March 29, 2020

So, this means that any changes in the scope will show up in completed and not in commitment, right? That is, I committed to x points when the sprint started, but I added stories with total y points during the sprint, so I will see x as committed, and x+ y as completed (assuming I finished)? 

Pablo C. Garcia August 30, 2022

Is this report available? If not, how is it being pulled? 

Like Dan Cumings likes this

Suggest an answer