Sprint Report Unable to use StatusCategory to Burn down work

JD Lobue May 6, 2020

We are using a sprint board and our sprint report is only able to use the last column of the board which we have as, "Accepted" (where our PO accepts the work). We also have a column, "Done" for when the dev team has completed the work. The sprint report does not burn down work when in either column, only when it is in the last column. Why doesn't the sprint report allow for status category = done as the flag to burn down work?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2020

Because Jira Software only looks at the last column on a board to see if something is "done".  Status Category is not the last column on the board (although it is worth matching it up so that it is), it's a categorisation of a status, which might not actually be accurate (frankly, I've yet to see a Jira where the admins have got it completely right throughout when we start the "fix this" projects)

JD Lobue May 7, 2020

I know. The question I have is, why does jira software only look at the last column on the sprint board to flag completed work? I am aware of what StatusCategory means, and I agree, I can't think of a scenario where Atlassian has gotten it correct. They seem novices in the area of empirical process control, and it's as if they aren't capable of knowing how to implement an application life-cycle management tool. Maybe they should have stuck to bug tracking? At any rate, we are using this solution. Still don't know why, as it's a cash cow and bleeding us dry. Over 6K / month with all the plug-ins etc. we are using. Not worth the spend, imho. So Atlassian, can you make StatusCategory = "done" flag the sprint burndown/burnup as complete? Thank you. What do I need to do to get this implemented? Completed work can be something other than the last column on the board, as done = "potentially ship-able" and accepted means Product Owner accepts the work and ready to ship. Help!

Like Leonardo Bagella likes this
Leonardo Bagella June 18, 2021

same problem. it's more useful to track all the Sprint until the very end basing the burn down/up progression on the "Completed" category more then a single status. I want the burn down report goes down when my stories are tested, not when they are approved by PO (last step) otherwise the graph is completely useless. Or shouold I change my process beacuse the tool doesn't allow that ? (unaccettable). Please consider the idea to change this behaviour.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events