Some users not receiving email notification

Jordan Dick August 9, 2021

Hi I am admin for our account and we have a subset of our users who are unable to receive email notification. some report they have never received emails

The notification helper says that they should be and our IT helpdesk says there is no issue with emails being delivered they report that the email server just shows no logs at all for these users. 

I have seen other threads which were resolved by clearing backend issues. is it possible that a similar thing would work here?

Thanks. 

5 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2021

Hi @Jordan Dick apart from the questions that @Lisa Grau asked, see if these users (if they have nothing in common) they have turned off their personal notifications.

But a little bit more info would come in handy:

• Does this happen only to a project?
  • Are the users receiving any email from other projects?
  • The users do not receive any email notification what so ever?
  • Do other users receive notifications for the actions these specific users fail to receive?

Alex

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

1- No it happens across multiple projects

2 - No users receive no notifications at all. and our help desk say  no emails for them from atlassian ever hit the mail sever 

3 - No

4 - Yes i have tagged a user who does get notifications and one that doesn't on the same comment only the one who does received anything 

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2021

@Angélica Luz could you check on that problem from your end and see if there are any problems?

Jordan Dick August 10, 2021

@Angélica Luz  Any chance you can have a look at this please?

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2021

Hello @Jordan Dick and @Alex Koxaras _Relational_,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

I was out of office, sorry for the late response.

I checked your domain on our tools, there were 36 email addresses on the suppression list due to the following error:

550: 550 5.1.1 ...@... Recipient address rejected: …

I removed it and the notifications should work now.

Please, take your time to test and let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2021

Nice work @Angélica Luz! Hope that your action helped solving @Jordan Dick's problem.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Poul-Henning Hemberg August 29, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz ,

I am experiencing something similar with a costumer. Can i somehow check my costumers suppressionlist?  (Jira cloud ,-) ).

/Poul-Henning

Jordan Dick August 30, 2021

thanks @Angélica Luz  that fixed it. how can we prevent it happening again?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2021

Hello @Poul-Henning Hemberg,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

If the affected customers are from the same domain as your email address, I found some bounces due to the error below:

550: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuch... - gsmtp

550: 550-5.2.1 The email account that you tried to reach is disabled. Learn more at 550 5.2.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=Disabled... - gsmtp

It was removed and it should work now.

Also, I saw that you created a ticket with our support related to the same issue, so if it didn’t resolve, please, share on the ticket all affected email addresses so we can check one by one and remove the blocks or bounces.

​​Kind regards,
Angélica

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 30, 2021

Hi @Jordan Dick,

It’s not possible to prevent this from happening. 

Sometimes the email address is new and the mailbox is not fully ready, that’s why the emails are blocked. 

You can share with them our domains and IPs to be whitelisted, but it may still happen.

norma_rice October 27, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz   Can you check for the same issue where users are not receiving emails.  We’ve been through all the troubleshooting efforts mentioned above. The users are from the same domain as my email address.

Thank you,

Norma Rice

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 28, 2021

Hello @norma_rice,

Welcome to the Community!

Checking your domain, it returned 22 email addresses with bounces related to the following errors:

550: 550-5.2.1 The email account that you tried to reach is disabled. Learn more at 550 5.2.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=Disabled... - gsmtp
550: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at 550 5.1.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuch... - gsmtp

I removed those bounces and it should work now.

Kind regards,
Angélica

norma_rice October 28, 2021

Awesome!! Thank you @Angélica Luz - I'll ask my team members to try now. 

norma_rice October 28, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz 

The specific user I am working with is still not receiving emails.  I am pretty sure we've been though all the troubleshooting scenarios listed in this post and others.  Any ideas? 

Thank you in advance.

Norma Rice

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
October 29, 2021

Hi @norma_rice,

The issue might be related to an incident we had yesterday with Sparkpost where notifications weren't being sent. It was already resolved:

Can you check if the issue still persists?

If so, then the user can check their profile to confirm all notifications are enabled (Profile picture > Personal settings).

Also, can you use the Notification helper to confirm if they should receive the notification?

Go to  Cog icon > System > Notification helper.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 09.46.42.png

norma_rice October 29, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz 

I'll have him check his emails again here shortly.  In the meantime, would you mind double checking the email addresses that were previously bounced before your update yesterday?  Would it be possible to email a list of those address so I can inquire if they are experiencing any issues?

We've been through all the troubleshooting efforts a few times. 

When I tried sharing an Jira ticket with him,  he did not receive the email for that either.  

Is there anything else in Cloud that would block emails sent to people in a specific user group? He mentioned that someone set up something to limit or stop emails from going to a user group he is in. So he has not received emails from Jira for nearly a year.  I tested by sending a blast email as admin and several of the users in that group and many reported back stating they received the email.  I guess I can try removing him from the user group.   

Any thoughts?  Is there anything else in Cloud that would block emails sent to people in a specific user group? 

Thank you for you assistance. 

Norma

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 1, 2021

Hi @norma_rice,

After removing the bounces it’s not possible to retrieve the list of the affected email addresses.

Since there is still one affected user, it would be better to check the email address directly to see if there are any other blocks. Maybe the user unsubscribed from Jira emails, but we would need the email address to check that.

Since you are a site admin of a premium site, please, reach out to our support on support.atlassian.com/contact and share with them the email address of the user and a ticket where they should have received a notification, so it’s possible to view the logs to confirm if the notification was sent.

norma_rice November 1, 2021

Ok Thank you @Angélica Luz 

I will try with the support team.  Have a great week ahead! 

Jordan Dick December 16, 2021

@Angélica Luz

would it be possible to clear the black list again? we are seeing some new users which are blocked. i think i have worked out the flaw in our process but need to get the errors cleared so i can activate some users

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 27, 2021

Hi @Jordan Dick,

I checked the domain and it returned 12 affected email addresses:

550: 550 5.1.1 ...@... Recipient address rejected: ...

The notifications should be delivered now.

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Dennis Geese January 17, 2022

Hello, @Angélica Luz 

currently the problem with the email notification occurs on my account too.

I have stopped receiving JIRA email notifications since january 2022. Before that, I was able to receive all JIRA notifications on my email, there were no changes done to the settings at all.

I have also amended my Personal Settings as per the attached image. However I am still not receiving any email notifications.

The rest of my team members are able to receive the email notification.

Can you maybe check it if it is the problem?

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 17, 2022

Hello @Dennis Geese,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Your email address and other six addresses from the same domain were on the suppression list due to the following reasons:

550: 550 5.1.1 ...@... Recipient address rejected: ... in virtual mailbox table

I removed the bounce and I checked on our tools that a notification was delivered already.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Like Dennis Geese likes this
0 votes
Nikolaos Fikas December 22, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz . Can you check for the same issue where users are not receiving emails.  I’ve try almost any troubleshooting I found online and nothing changed. The users are from the same domain as my email address.

Thank you in advance.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 27, 2021

Hello @Nikolaos Fikas,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Checking your domain on your tools, it only returned 2 affected email addresses.

550: 550 5.1.1 ...@... Recipient address rejected: ... in virtual mailbox table

I removed the bounces and the notifications should work now.

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
David Huang December 14, 2021

@Angélica Luz  can you plz check below user for the same issue, we have been through all of the TS steps and compare the access with his colleagues but no luck, cheers

[Removed by moderators]

David

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 27, 2021

Hi @David Huang,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

The email address you mentioned was on the suppression list.

550: 550 5.1.1 ...

I removed the bounce and the notifications should work now.

Kind regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Lisa Grau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2021

Hi Jordan,

do these users have anything in common? All belong to the same project?

I experienced a similar issue once, which was caused by an email being set up as IMAP when it had to be POP in one project.

Hi Lisa, 

they dont they all have access to the same projects and have the same role. its about 10% of our users where do you see the IMAP vs pop email settings? is this on JiRA cloud?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events