Some Epics are missing from project scrum board

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2013

JIRA 5.1.7, GH 6.2.2

I create a Scrum board for project A, (simple and straight forward). I look at the Epic column on the board adn it is not showing some of the Epics that I know are in this project.

Ran a quesry in issue navigator for Epic that are unresolved in project A and I get 54. Count the Epics that are in the scrum board for project A: 36.

If I create a new Epic from the scrum board, it show up on the scrum board.

Any ideas?

This is really weird.

THanks

NR

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
richie_gee
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 23, 2013

Hi there,

Can you run a search for all your epics and this time add a column called epic status and try to compare the values in this epic status. On GreenHopper 6.2 onwards, epics can be marked as done on the epic status, the board will then pick the value there and not showing the done epics.

To read more about Epic Status, you can refer to the documentation below:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Completing+an+Epic

Hope this helps, you can try the recommended steps on the documentation to set it different value. Cheers :)

Jeff Lovington May 6, 2020

good call. blows my mind that out of box jira doesnt handle epic status or resolution when you move issues to 'done' then back out of done to something in progress or to do. even an accidental card drag can cause this problem that requires an admin researching for hours to solve

2 votes
Nishant Mehta April 5, 2016

I am facing a similar issue. A few notes:

• There is just one project and one scrum board and the filter is "Project=NAME ORDER BY Rank ASC" shared with the entire project
  • The epics that are not visible on this board have stories assigned to it and those stories show up on the board (I don't know how)
  • These invisible epics are not resolved and are still in the 'Not Done' or 'In progress' state which are mapped statuses for this board in question
  • All these epics are visible in the filter results but not on the board created from the same filter.
  • All newIy created epics are being added here. The existing epics that were created by others are not seen (No quick filter 'reported by me' selected)

Can someone please help out with this?

Thanks in advance.

Natalia Lezhai January 15, 2018

Hi @Nishant Mehta have you figured this one out? I am facing the same thing. 

Thanks

Chris Deutschmann May 17, 2018

I am having the same issue.  Any suggestions?

Like Jo Beck likes this
1 vote
Jeff Lovington May 6, 2020

what an out of box failure. ive wasted hours in a few different years trying to solve this

0 votes
Sergji Donchenko February 16, 2015

Yeah, I had the same issue. So, the solution for this issue was just edit the Project's filter /it was set as a name of a project and depends on that value/...

0 votes
Laura Minniear September 5, 2013

I finally figured this out, at least for my issue. I discovered that when you add a project to an existing board, it does NOT automatically add it to the filter query for that board. Very unintuitive.

0 votes
Laura Minniear September 5, 2013

I am having the same issue. I have tried multiple times/ways/places to add an epic to our main board (JIRA v6.1), but cannot get it to show in the list of epics for the board. I tried adding an epic to another board (a test board), and it showed right away no problem. There is no difference in Issue Type Scheme for the two boards - both are the default schemes, with epic in there. Also, I am not changing the status at all.

Can't figure it out, and can't find any helpful info anywhere.

Suggest an answer