Site Migration

Donna Bates September 30, 2021

I need some advice.

I'm working with 2 organizations that have merged into one company. Here's what I'm dealing with:

• The parent org has a 1 year old, very small, non-customized Jira cloud instance with only 5 projects, no  subscriptions to service desk or confluence and no external users/customers
  • The child org has a 4+ years old, somewhat bigger, robustly customized Jira cloud instance with 35 projects, fully enabled service desks and confluence instances and external users/customers.

The task is to merge the two. The thought from the parent's perspective is to bring the child into the parent instance. That's going to take a lot of backend work to customize the parent to accommodate the child instance's technical requirements. 

Looking at the backend workings of both sites, I keep thinking that it is a better solution to bring the parent into the child instance. It would be not only easier, but provide fewer opportunities for data loss or possible glitches to migrate the simple parent instance into the complex child instance. This way workflows, permissions, automation and all customized areas would remain intact.

I need suggestions!

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

Hi @Donna Bates  - Did you ever get your sites merged? 

Donna Bates May 18, 2022

Well, yes and no.

Client chose to keep both sites - one for public/customer work where external users can work in the projects too and one for strictly internal/corporate work to be done. So some existing projects had to be moved from one side to the other and permissions redone/created and users shuffled about.

Not my method of choice, but then I just work here.... :-)

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

I hear ya. Just didn't want for anyone not to respond to you - if even months later. :-(

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events