Show releases in a calendar view

Henrik Schulz January 17, 2018

Hello, everyone,

is there a possibility to display the releases in a calendar view with a visualization of the time periods?

I already use the "JIRA issue calendar". However, this represents only the planned publication dates. But I would like to know which releases are running in parallel at what time. Therefore, the period between "start date" and "release date" is important to me in order to better plan new customer requests.

In addition to the JIRA issue calendar gadget, I use Portfolio for planning. The GANTT-like view of the sprints is great. If this would also be available for the releases, it would be very helpful for me.

It would also be great if it's possible to export this calendar-view as an iCAL to integrate it into external calendar tools.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could put that into reality?

Thank you very much : -)

6 answers

4 votes
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2020

Hi @Henrik Schulz

if you're still looking for a tool to visualize releases in the calendar then you can try our Jira app - Swanly - Release management timeline.

It integrates with your Jira releases and you can then use the project timeline to see and manage releases in a particular project or on portfolio level to manage release across the projects.

Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 14.06.52.png

It's a paid app available for Jira cloud on the Marketplace 👉https://jexo.app/release-calendar

If you have any questions let me know!

1 vote
Yuri Lapin _Release Management_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2020

Hi @Henrik Schulz,

In Server & DataCenter versions of Release Management App there is a timeline view as shown below.

timeline_view_release_management_4Jira.png

Here you can schedule your versions and packages (the naming convention we use for multiple versions / cross-project releases) as well as track day to day status with progress bar.

Check it out!

1 vote
Leo Diaz _ DEISER
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2020

Hi @Henrik Schulz !

This answer comes a few months late.. Recently we have release a new version of our app (Profields) that includes a timeline view of your releases:

Image result for profields releases view

If you want to know more join our next webinar! >> http://bit.ly/3cIzq9c

1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2019

You could develop a little template for Better PDF Exporter by customizing its default Gantt chart template by changing these aspects:

1. Instead of working with issues, it should work with releases.
  2. Instead of picking up the start- and end data of the horizontal bars from issue fields, these should be got from the properties of the release.

These customization should be fairly easy and could generate a document like this:

jira-gantt-chart-report

Disclaimer: I am developer working on this paid app.

1 vote
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2018

Hi Henrik,

If you are managing multiple releases across multiple team/sprints and you need better visualization try Cycle Control.

This app helps you visualize an entire initiative from conception to delivery in a calendar view. The Release calendars allow you to easily manage a more complex, multi-team initiative with intermediate checkpoints (approvals, quality gates, milestones and checklists) and easily coordinate the lifecycle of an entire initiative/release. 

If you need more details about Cycle's capabilities, feel free to contact me :) 

Cheers,

Teodora

0 votes
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2020

Hi @Henrik Schulz

You can display your versions on a Timeline using the Golive app:

version-calendars.png

With the iCAL export feature, you get real-time updates in your favorite Calendar Tool (Google Calendar, iOS Calendar, Outlook, etc.)

version-export.jpg

Cheers,

David

Suggest an answer