Show Story Points Indicator on Backlog

Simon Balder December 18, 2017

Hi! I want to show the story points for a story on the backlog. I have found how I can add a field, but this also adds an entire row making the backlog less comprehensible. I remember in the past there would be a grey circle with the amount of story points written in it at the end of each row of the backlog. How can I set that up?

12 answers

9 votes
Andre Ho February 22, 2019

I was able to add the story points by going to Jira Settings > Issues > Custom Fields then search for 'Story Points' and add your project by clicking on the '...' more menu and select 'Configure'. Then, under 'Default Configuration Scheme for Story Points' simply select 'Edit Configuration' and select the project(s) :)

Hope this help!

Andre

Kevin Gorlick April 10, 2019

I was not seeing story points on my board. I tried this and this solved my issue. Thank you.

John Charnley April 24, 2019

Worked for me - many thanks!

xavi.carrasco May 31, 2019

Thanks, it worked.

Monika Gottwald September 18, 2020

With this help, I could find the problem on my cloud instance as well.

It works a bit different:

Settings > Fields > Custom Fields > Select Story Points > ... > Contexts

Thanks!

tbunkley March 24, 2021

Worked for me. Thank you 

Luca Fogliatto [X] July 15, 2021

Sorry I can't find the path Jira Settings > Issues > Custom Fields. Could you please tell me how to get there? I'm using Jira Cloud

Like Filip Zafran likes this
Filip Zafran October 21, 2021

I have the same issue as Luca

John Cook April 3, 2022

Same here. In the cloud version story point stats show for sprints but not for the backlog itself. Any thoughts?

Like vasanth likes this
4 votes
Cheryl May 20, 2019

I've seen the story points in the grey circle on a scrum board, but I can't work out how to do it on the Kanban board.

Mykhaylo Kolesnik June 26, 2019

Same issue, it seems like it wasn't implemented for Kanban boards. And that's pretty disappointing...

Like # people like this
John Jones July 3, 2019

@Atlassian, here's another feature request!  Make Kanban Boards display Story Points *the same way* they are shown on Scrum Boards... both in the Backlog view *and* the Active Board view.

Like # people like this
Ashley Renlund July 11, 2019

It's the thing that makes me saddest about the "KanPlan" view.

Like # people like this
Amy Bailey September 16, 2019

@Atlassian this seems like a "miss".  Plain & simple.

Like # people like this
Ashley Renlund October 4, 2019

I've added a suggestion for Jira Cloud to show the story points badge on the kanban backlog: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18475

I believe that voting for the issue is one way to get the matter on / bump it up the priority list.

Like Dominic Marmion Old likes this
Andreas Lianos March 18, 2020

@Amy Bailey the whole Jira cloud is a miss.

Samuel Araiza October 8, 2020

It's missing because the metric for Agile Kanban shouldn't be story points, it should be time to resolve stories. That said, most teams find themselves in hybrid management practices, ScrumBan if you will. Measuring some sort of velocity, or allowing Product Management teams to consider complexity in their prioritization is helpful. Rather than being forced to exercise certain methodologies, Jira should favor on the side of configuration and allow each team to shoot themselves in the foot, and at most provide recommended guidelines if they want to get preachy. 

Ellen Daleng April 16, 2024

How many years until this story point bubble is implemented in Kanban backlogs/boards?  Its been on the backburner since 2013 and is a very hard thing to explain to our Jira customers why Atlassian hasn´t fixed this issue yet. They take it as an indication of a general lack of responsiveness from Atlassian and are hesitant to go with the tools. Surely this is a matter of cutting and pasting some code from the Scrum backlog implementation.

Like Danel Leclaire likes this
John Jones April 16, 2024

likely never @Ellen Daleng.  what I've learned is that Atlassian doesn't really care unless it gets "voted" high enough by the Jira community to make it a priority.

As @Ashley Renlund mentions above, "I believe that voting for the issue is one way to get the matter on / bump it up the priority list."

So make sure you cast a vote for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18475 and maybe someday, someday, we'll see this feature added... or better yet, a competitor comes along and knocks Atlassian off their pedestal.

3 votes
Andrew Love January 2, 2019

Had exactly the same issue. The fix I used was:

• In the backlog, select the '...' button and go to 'Board settings'.
  • In the 'Board settings' menu, select 'Card layout'
  • In the drop-down menu, select 'Story points' from the list then select 'Add'. 

This doesn't add them the way it used to (next to epics, in a grey circle), but it does make them visible in the backlog or board (you can choose to add them to each). 

Dominic Marmion Old January 2, 2019

This doesn't fix the issue at all. It adds it as a new line which is exactly what no one wants. Read the question again.

Like # people like this
Andrew Love January 2, 2019

Well, it solved the problem for me. Thanks so much for your polite response though :) 

You'll see, if you read my post clearly, that I highlight that it doesn't fully solve the problem in the way that it used to work. However, it at least makes the story points visible, which was the problem that brought me to this thread. 

For those that have a similar issue, and think that having the story points visible is more important than an extra line for each backlog item, then that fix will work. 

Best of luck finding the ideal fix you want. 

Like # people like this
Dominic Marmion Old January 3, 2019

:)

Matt January 3, 2019

I was able to fix this on my instance. There were two fields available called "Story Points" and we had the wrong one on the screen. Not sure why there were two fields called the same thing but might be something to investigate. 

Try having a look at the field configurations and ensure that you don't have a duplicate :)

Like Guillaume Lederer likes this
Jack Hiddes January 16, 2019

How did you fix @Matt ?

Matt January 16, 2019

@Jack Hiddes: For some reason in my JIRA instance we have two fields called "Story Points". When I changed the field on the Story screen to the other "Story Points" field, the numbers appeared.

This is not typical and may not apply to your instance. My guess is someone created a duplicate "Story Points" field.

Have a look at your list of fields and see if you have duplicates.

Like Lucas Tonon likes this
Ann McDowell May 21, 2019

Thanks, @Andrew Love I got the extra line, but totally worth it to get the story point estimate in the view.

3 votes
jessica.gilbert@acma.gov.au November 13, 2018

I am experiencing the same issue. Is there another setting perhaps? 

2 votes
Booster April 15, 2019

So after running through everything previously posted here, I found that if you go to your project settings  > Fields > In the top right click the "(gear) Actions" dropdown and select Edit Fields > scroll down to Story Points and click "Required" on the right for Story Points > Go back to your Projects backlog and try and create a new issue, it will bring up the full edit for an issue and yell at you for not having a story point value. Go ahead and enter a value and then create the issue. You will now note that it shows the story point value both on the issue in the backlog and in the info panel on the right for the issue (click on the issue to see this). Now you can go back and change Story points from Required to Optional and all future issues will have story points as an editable field on the right-hand info panel.

Bryce Snyder May 28, 2019

SOLVED! We've been dealing with this issue for months, and this did the trick!  Thank you!

Wouter van den Heever April 20, 2020

Thank you Brett. This resolved our issue as well. You should go work for Atlassian Support team as their advice elsewhere on this community did resolve the issue 

Like Anne Blaisdell likes this
2 votes
Katy Gerasimenko September 28, 2018

The same problem - I changed Estimation on Srory Points - but this don't work for me. Are there any other settings I have to change?

0 votes
zd2
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 21, 2024

THIS has done it, finally!!!

image.png

0 votes
Danel Leclaire February 21, 2024

Capture.PNG

0 votes
Sasha Tkachev March 22, 2023

For me the estimation was present from the get go when using the scrub backlog
But it seems I cannot edit the estimated points from the backlog view. only for the issue view.
I remember in old versions of jira it was possible to edit the estimation by clicking the gray circle, and I can't figure it out how to do it in this version

0 votes
sheer March 4, 2022

Ok so I managed to fix this on my instance.

It's important to note that there are several similar fields: Story Points, Story Point Estimation, Original Estimation.

The ONLY one of these that will appear in the grey circle on the right of the issue line in the backlog is the simple Story Points.

For some reason, this field is not a default in projects, at least it wasn't in mine.

In addition, it's not enough to add the field in your screen configuration of your selected issue type, you also need to have the field specifically added to issue types and projects via Configuration Scheme Context.

Bottom line, add the field Story Points to your required issue screens AND associate the field with your project and issue types under Custom Fields > Contexts.

Then it should work

0 votes
Karen Riek September 24, 2020

This issue was happening to me when I was creating a new project. I wanted to say that I had forgotten to create a board at all, so I could see the project and edit all the fields, but because i had not created a BOARD, the grey bubble for the estimate did not show up. When I went to create a Scrum Board, it configured the backlog to include the grey bubble with all of the numbers. Problem fixed. Make sure you have a Scrum Board created, or this will be blank.

0 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2017

Story points are automatically shown in the backlog as soon as you set a value in the story being shown:

story-points.png

That's what I thought! But exactly the grey circle with the estimation you show in your printscreen does not show up in my backlog, also after I estimated it. Looking for the setting that removed it / to add it back in the list.

In my case it shows the priority by the way, a red, orange etc. arrow.

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2017

Maybe it is one of those new kanban boards, with backlog as a new feature, instead of a scrum board?

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2017

I think you can fix it by following these steps:

1. Go to Board > Configure > Estimation
  2. Change Estimation from Issue Count to Story Points
Like # people like this
Majid Ali October 28, 2018

No. Not working at all. even on scrum board.

Terri Ruggieri August 22, 2019

I have the exact same issue, have followed all the suggestions in this thread and still no story points in the grey bubble on the backlog view of a scrum project (JIRA cloud).  We have the priority indicator but cannot get story points to show in the bubble and NO a 2nd line with the story points is not acceptable. 

Like # people like this
Andrew January 24, 2020

The setting for Scrum boards, it's in the Board Settings > Estimation section. So each of your boards in a project could be different. 

Jira Story Points Grey Bubble.png

Like Arron Fletcher likes this
Andreas Lianos March 18, 2020

@Ignacio Pulgar this is for next_gen boards. Classic boards don't have that.

Charlotte September 14, 2020

As mentioned above only the Story points are being shown in the backlog as a bubble.  I just realized earlier that I was actually inputting Story Estimates instead of Story Points.  Not all issues have it sho I configured it using Custom Fields>Open Story Points> Click Context tab>Edit it and apply it to all your issue types.  Hope this works for you too.

Suggest an answer